Because of the NFL lockout, players who were eligible for the draft in previous years are not allowed to participate in college-sponosored pro days this year. That means that former UH quarterback Colt Brennan, defensive end Melila Purcell III and cornerback JoPierre Davis are not eligible to participate in UH’s pro day tomorrow in Carson, Calif. All three had agreed to attend until UH received a ruling saying those players’ participation was not allowed.
Here’s the pro day roster: Cameron Allen-Jones, Dustin Blount, Rodney Bradley, Jeramy Bryant, Lametrius Davis, Chizzy Dimude, Brysen Ginlack, Alex Green, Kainoa LaCount, Laupepa Letuli, Kealoha Pilares,Greg Salas, Mana Silva, Spencer Smith, Adrian Thomas, Bronson Tiwanak, Kamalu Umu.
* * * * *
Today was the first spring practice in full pads. Among the highlights:
• Slotback Miah Ostrowsi, who recently rejoined the Warriors after three months with the UH basketball team, did not wear full pads. He has to have two limited-contact practices before being allowed to participate in full workouts. Defenders were allowed to wrap up ballcarriers but not tackle them today.
• Marcus Malepeai, Desmond Dean, Beau Yap and Sonny Recca received most of the d-end work in place of injured Liko Satele. (OK, had a brain freeze, and initially mistook Waylon Lolotai for Recca.) While d-ends Alema Tachibana and Alasi Toilolo have more experience at that position, the coaches want to give more work to Malepai, Dean and Yap.
• With linebacker as the thinnest position, the Warriors have focused more on teaching techniques during drills. Aulola Tonga, who redshirted as a sophomore in 2010, has received expanded playing time. T.J. Taimatuia, who recently was cleared to practice, got work as the “elephant” — the pass-rushing linebacker position.
• Offensive tackle Jordan Loeffler did not practice today because of “knee issues.”
• Nathan Johnson auditioned as a kicker today.
* * * * *
• The coaches’ talk-story social, which was postponed because of the tsunami threat, has been rescheduled for Friday, April 8 at the second-floor dance studios at the UH athletic complex. The event, hosted by UH coaches, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Call (808) 956-6508 for details.
• Camp dates: Skills Camp (June 10-12), Big Man’s Camp (June 17-19), Kids Camp (June 25-26). For details, call (808) 956-6508.
* UH’s training camp opens Aug. 2 with an orientation for newcomers. The rest of the Warriors report Aug. 3.