In a quick turnaround, the Warriors will be back practicing this morning, 13 hours after the conclusion of yesterday’s extended first practice. This time, they will be at the Ching complex.
From the first day:
• The quarterbacks each wore a knee brace on their plant leg. While it was a bulky adjustment, head coach Norm Chow reminded them that Tom Brady and Carson Palmer now wear braces after suffering season-ending injuries in the past.
• Instead of captains, Chow polled the players and created a “leadership council.” The council consists of 11 leaders, including seniors Paipai Falemalu, Geordon Hanahano, Haku Correa and Miah Ostrowski. David Graves is one of four juniors on the council.
• Every detail is important. There was a brief tutorial on the exact distance (5 yards) the huddle should be from the line of scrimmage.
• A referee will be part of every practice. Even zebras need workouts.
• There isn’t a depth chart, but there is. When the coaches yelled out, “second team,” it wasn’t by random participation. It will all get sorted out as spring ball progresses, but when it came to team reps, Graves or Cayman Shutter was the quarterback.