Those two visitors on the UH campus this past weekend?
They were finalists for one of the coaching positions.
A decision will be announced in about a week.
* * *
Seven years ago today, I nearly died, which would have been kind of a bummer. Especially for me.
Which is why I’m appreciative of having seen:
• The men’s volleyball team defeat Pepperdine in the NCAA volleyball final. Costas played alongside pros three years earlier? Who cared that night. Tony Ching was at his best, and so was Vili.
• Ever try to watch a football game from the sideline? You can’t see squat. Well, June Jones has that amazing ability to dissect a defense from the sidelines. Not only that, he has a photographic and panoramic memory. He can watch a play and tell you what every player is doing. His multi-tasking skills were on display in 2005, when he was in his office watching a PGA telecast while searching for the mortgage papers for his parents’ house while debating whether to allow a skinny player to join his team. He found the papers, rattled off the names on the leaderboard and said he was all but sure he would accept Colt Brennan.
• I think the most chicken-moment of the 2007 season wasn’t the victories over Boise State or Washington, but being in the Stan Sheriff Center awaiting the announcement of UH’s BCS destination. The decision was already leaked before the telecast started, and the announcement was more matter-of-fact, but the faces of the players and fans represented pure joy.
* Two words: Apple martini(s).
• Two more words: Blog readers. We’ve celebrated births and romances together, mourned the losses of loved ones, and sang ourselves hoarse. Yet 2 1/2 years ago, we were all strangers to each other. Well, maybe not. Some of us became reacquainted: Rob25 and Ronnie, Al and SteveM, me and Rich2176.
Anyway, Happy Valentine’s Day.
* * *
Birthday shoutout to Kieren.