A few notes:
• Matagisila Lefiti, who was projected to be the No. 1 center, said he might miss the first three games while recovering from surgery on his left foot. He said he suffered the injury when a teammate “rolled” onto his foot during the spring game. He underwent surgery in mid-May, and was told the rehabilitation period was about four months. “I should be ready mid-September,” Lefiti said.
He said there are pins in his left foot to stabilize the torn ligaments.
“I was very frustrated when the doctor told me what he told me,” Lefiti said. “I had to really focus. It made me a stronger player mentally, and really got me going spiritually, also.”
Lefiti acknowledged it was a freak injury. He was wearing an ankle brace at the time. “It wasn’t like I was trying to cut corners,” Lefiti said.
He still uses a medical boot, but no longer needs crutches. He keeps fit doing core exercises.
• Defensive end Veni Manu, who signed a letter of intent with the Warriors in February 2009, still is awaiting final clearance from UH.
Manu did not play in 2009 while working to meet NCAA eligibility requirements. He apparently met those requirements, but now has to wait for Upper Campus officials to certify his eligibility. He should be cleared in time to participate in training camp.
Manu also is working to regain the weight he lost. He weighed 240 pounds when he signed with UH. Because he did not have access to a weight-training facility for several months, he lost 35 pounds. He has gained five pounds the past month, and now weighs 210.
• Defensive end Kamalu Umu has been impressive during offseason workouts. Umu sat out last season after transferring from Charleston Southern. He only has one season of eligibility remaining.
• Tombo Ahi provides us with this link to Chad Owens’ 117-yard kickoff return: Mighty Mouse.
• Avis has selected Slugger as the winner of a $25 RainBowTique gift certificate.
• Happy birthday to Hoohiki.