Former UH quarterback Colt Brennan is in serious condition with a facial injury following a two-car accident on the Big Island this morning. Brennan was hospitalized in Kona, where he underwent tests for internal bleeding, and was set to be transported to The Queen’s Medical Center this afternoon.
Brennan was a passenger in the head-on crash.
* * * * *
It happens all of the time. A football team struggles offensively for most of the game. Then it goes into the two-minute offense. Bam. Bam. Bam. Touchdown. And everybody asks: Why couldn’t the team play that way the entire game?
And that’s the confounding thing about UH. The school that has the world’s best telescope and can clone a mouse gets ditched and disrespected time and time again. But backed into a corner, it can replace an AD, hire a coach in a week, and sweet-talk an invitation from a conference it has been pursuing for more than a decade.
Why can’t school officials operate this quickly and decisively all of the time? Only someone with an enigmatology degree knows the answer. But we do know what an impending football membership in the MWC means.
• The Warriors. Sure, Texas-San Antonio and Texas State were intriguing. But the Warriors got the date they always wanted.
• M.R.C. Greenwood. She knew what past UH presidents learned — UH football is important to the community.
• Rockne Freitas. It’s no secret that Freitas’ clout, influence and contacts helped make it all happen. Now, if he can only help with the rail …
• WAC. Its future is in serious peril when the senior member decides it cannot stick around.
• Karl Benson. He’s a decent, honest and loyal man. But to lose an ally, well, this time it’s personal.
• San Jose State. It’s not easy being the only kid in class not invited to the party.
* * * * *
Avis has selected YPO as the winner of the Rainbow Wahine T-shirt. Please text me at 256-0223.