• Leftside linebacker Blaze Soares suffered what is being described as a strained calf muscle during today’s drills. He was taken by motorized cart to the training room for medical tests. He will undergo an MRI at 4 a.m. — yes, that’s before dawn —Tuesday to determine the severity of the injury.
• With Soares and right-side linebacker Adam Leonard (tight hamstring) sidelined, R.J. Kiesel-Kauhane played on the left side, Solomon Elimimian moved from the middle to the right, and backuup middle Brashton Satele was promoted to first team.
• Center John Estes did not participate in the second half of practice to rest a sore right shoulder.
• Defensive tackle Rocky Savaiigaea did not practice because of a triceps injury. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI today.
• Quarterback Tyler Graunke still has not fulfilled the academic issues needed to resume practicing.
• Quarterback Brent Rausch had one of his best days passing.
* * *
Among Rich Miano’s many duties — associate head coach, walk-on coordinator, defensive secondary coach – is the role of assigning jersey numbers.
Miano has made it a point this season to not assign No. 14 (Tim Chang) and No. 15 (Colt Brennan).
The hope is that one day UH will begin retiring jersey numbers.
Until then, Miano will do that himself.