• While it was surprising to learn that Malcolm Lane will redshirt this season, the move does ease a crowded situation. Backup wideouts Jovonte Taylor, Royce Pollard and Joe Avery are deserving of playing time. And, if needed, UH also can switch Greg Salas back to wideout, opening the way for reserve slotbacks Dustin Blount, Ryan Henry, Jon Medeiros and Jeremiah Ostrowski.
• Center John Estes and middle linebacker Brashton Satele are logical choices to be named co-captains. By position — each makes on-field calls — they are in leadership roles. It will be interesting to see if coach Greg McMackin decides to go with three or four captains. Some suggestions: Greg Alexander, Inoke Funaki, Rocky Savaiigaea, R.J. Kiesel-Kauhane.
• What about Leon Wright-Jackson as Lane’s replacement at kick returner? We all agree that he looks the best when he’s in the open field. At kick returner, he would field the ball in the open field.
• Once the Warriors begin practicing on the Cooke/Ching surface, it will be difficult to go back to the grass field. Cooke/Ching is weather-proof and, more importantly, it’s closer to the locker room and training room.
• We all make band-camp remarks. But, you know, why not? It would be nice to see the band working out, too.
• … And let’s stimulate the economy. It’s time to think about sending the band to the Nevada game. Or, at least, the San Jose State game.
• Does hurricane insurance cover tropical storms?
• Is a tropical storm the remedy for swine flu? It seems that way from the news coverage.
• Thanks to UnderArmour, the Warriors have new practice jerseys.
* * * * *
And a very happy birthday to Sailor Blue.