Head coach Norm Chow said that after five spring practices the defense continues to make “strides” while the offense is still adjusting to the switch to the pro-set schemes.
Following yesterday’s practice, Chow said: “The attitude was good. The hustle was good. I thought offensively it was a little sloppy. … It’s all new. It doesn’t click in right now. It’s going to take time.”
Chow said there is concern about the depth of an offensive line that lost six seniors from the 2011 team. Offensive tackle Levi Legay has not been able to practice because of an injury. Offensive tackle Sean Shigematsu has recovered from last year’s knee surgery. He did well in drills yesterday before being shaken up in one of the later sessions. He is expected to be ready for Saturday’s practice.
The Warriors added a fullback to the scheme, but running backs Joey Iosefa and John Lister have played so well, Chow is considering using both in tandem as hybrid backs.
“Lister is playing pretty good,” Chow said. “I like him as a running back. He might be a fullback.”
Lister said: “I’m trying to progress from last year, taking what I learned last year and applying it now. I’m trying to get into the lineup the best I can.”
Lister focused on improving his hands (for pass catching and blocking) and quickness during offseason workouts. He lost 10 pounds, including “some of the bad weight,” and now weighs 205, which has helped his agility and quickness. His direction remains unchanged. Lister is still a north-south runner.
“I’m not trying to run around people,” Lister said. “Hopefully that mentality works out.”
* * * * *
• Practice jerseys come in all the Crayola colors. Yesterday, the Warriors introduced the yellow jerseys, which are worn by players recovering from injuries. Tight end Darius Bright and receiver Allen Sampson were in yellow yesterday. Both made some nice catches in non-contact drills. (As previously noted, quarterbacks now wear red jerseys in practice. Not sure what will become of the orange jerseys the QBs used to wear.)
• The Warriors are essentially running a 5-2 defense that has multiple options. George Daily-Lyles, Brenden Daley and Justin Vele have been standouts as inside linebackers.
• The Warriors have been rotating the defensive secondary. Brian Clay has been used as a cornerback, safety and nickelback. Mike Sellers has been a corner and nickel. John Hardy-Tuliau was a safety last week, and a corner this week. Bubba Poueu-Luna has drawn raves for his work at safety.
• Linebacker Darryl McBride suffered a sprained left ankle.
• It’s open casting at punt returner. Among the candidates: Scott Harding, Samson Anguay, Trevor Davis, Chris Gant, Donnie King.