• It’s too bad cornerback Steve Christian won’t be able to play for an extended period. Christian suffered a labrum injury that will require surgery. He redshirted as a freshman last year.
• Just because UH can endure the loss of wideout Malcom Lane, it doesn’t mean it won’t be easier without him. Lane left training camp to tend to “personal business.” Not only does Lane have experience — he has not redshirted in his first three UH seasons — but he offers leadership and a breakaway threat as a kick returner.
• It was a good decision to move Paipai Falemalu to defensive end, where he can use his speed and strength to complement rush end Fetaiagogo Fonoti. Now UH has to complete the task and move first-day players Waylon Lolotai and Alema Tachibana from defensive end to linebacker.
• It was interesting to see the coaches work on the little details, such as the defense practicing breaking the huddle. Little things often mushroom into big things.
• Nice to see wideout Craig Bell back on the field. Give him credit for overcoming two ACL surgeries. He was supposed to apply for a medical retirement; now he might contribute.
* * * * *
• Well, Curveball has a rather unique double-vision.
* * * * *