Here’s a progress report on the Warriors’ 2011 recruiting class:
• Junior Alexis, defensive tackle — The plan was for Alexis to join UH as a grayshirt in January. But in the last week of July, Miami sneaked in, and made an offer. Alexis went there before UH could make a counter-offer to bring him in for training camp.
• Justin Alo, quarterback — Also a gray-shirt commitment, Alo is not eligible to join the Warriors in January. He is taking part-time classes and plans to join the Warriors in 2013.
• Chinedu Amadi, slotback — A promising prospect, Amadi is seeking a medical hardship after suffering a shoulder injury. He should be 100 percent for spring ball.
• Ijumaa Armstrong, cornerback — He is redshirting this season.
• Brian Clay, safety — Primary backup at both safety positions.
• Craig Cofer, defensive end — Great improvement the past few weeks; made the travel roster to LaTech. After this season, Cofer has two years of eligibility.
• Brenden Daley, linebacker — Redshirting after undergoing foot surgery. Should be 100 percent for spring ball.
• Trevor Davis, wideout — Serving an apprenticeship under Royce Pollard. Davis was on the travel roster for both trips.
• Ben Dew, guard — Redshirting this season.
• Cecil Doe, wideout — Making progress after transferring from a run-oriented program.
• Mike Edwards, cornerback — Starting field corner and kick returner.
• Penitito Faalologo, linebacker — Delayed enrolling because of a family death; will join in January.
• Chris Gant, slotback — Made the adjustment from wideout; was on the first road trip.
• Tyler Gray, linebacker — Set to join Warriors in January.
• Will Gregory, running back — Showed promise in training camp, but after much debate, it was decided to redshirt Gregory this season.
• Ellis Henderson, slotback — Grayshirted after undergoing shoulder surgery. Will join Warriors in January.
• Tigi Hill, linebacker — Playing at Mesa College.
• Jared Leaf, running back — He is redshirting after UH decided it needed to space out the classes at that position.
• Ben Mamea, linebacker — Attending local four-year school. After this academic year, he will go on a two-year church mission, then join the Warriors in 2014.
• Blake Muir, offensive tackle — He has made both trips, but is being held out of games to preserve his redshirt year.
• Thomas Olds, offensive lineman — Redshirting this season. He’s drawn comparisons to Austin Hansen.
• Mike Sellers, defensive back — Starting nickelback.
• Kendrick Van Ackeren, linebacker — Played well after moving to linebacker. Redshirting this season.
• Justin Vele, linebacker — Redshirting this season.
• Tavita Woodard, defensive end — Underwent foot surgery in August; cleared to practice this week.
Post-signing day additions:
• Ben Clarke, offensive lineman — He’s enrolled as a part-time UH student. Joins the Warriors in January.
• Brandon Leslie, safety — Recently cleared after recovering from concussion.
• Ikaika Woolsey, quarterback — Attending City College of San Francisco as a part-time student. He is allowed to practice with the Rams but not play in any games. He joins the Warriors in January.
* * * * *
And “Big Daddy offers proof that his son can jump high:
* * * * *
Slugger has donated a UH football shirt (XL).
If you wish to enter the drawing, please post: I’m open. Throw me the darn shirt.
Avis will pick a winner.
* * * * *
Belated birthday wishes to Nalani and McTruck.