McGown joins Vulcans staff, Ribeiro to Cal
Former CCH (BYUH), USA, UH (assistant) and BYU caoch Carl McGown is joining Tino Reyes’ staff at UH Hilo. His assistant’s job with the Vulcans starts Saturday.
More recently been coach of the Swiss national team. One of the best volleyball minds out there IMHO.
A good guy who is also a ski instructor in Utah.
As for Ribeiro, Fabio’s daughter who had been offered by UH beach and had been discussed on a previous thread, she just committed to Cal.
In today’s Hawai’i Beat article about the High Performance competition, there was no mention that Patrick Gasman, 2016 incoming UH freshman and 6’9″ MB, was on Austin’s Gold medal team.
Hard to believe practice is less than 2 weeks away. Eager to see what the new Wahine have to bring you the table, and how improved the veterans have become after their trip to Europe.
1. not mentioned because the list I was given were the players from the Aloha Region.
2. Yep, 6 a.m. start on Monday Aug. 10. I feel they are going to be very good this season and we’ll see if any of the newcomers can break into the lineup.
Mitchem will be in camp while all the paper work is finalized.
Granato and Mitchem are going to play for sure. Burns could play, depending on what position Mitchem plays. Castillo might be a redshirt possibility.
With Granato and Mitchem, there are a lot of possibilities regarding the lineup. Mitchem could stay at MB, with Magill, Greeley, Olevao and Taylor all reprising their roles from last year. Or Mitchem could play right, Magill and Maglio in the middle, Taylor will move to the outside and one of Greeley and Olevao playing a backup role. Or Granato could start, displacing one of Greeley and Olevao.
I know Kahakai is the libero, but I’m hoping to see more of Guinasso. I’d like to see more of Koelsch. Higgins is very mediocre.
4. Hot. How about something wacky like McKenna at L? That would waste her considerable offensive talents, but UH needs much better and consistent passing. McKenna can help in that regard. However, unless Kahakai ramps up her athleticism or court vision markedly, not even McKenna, as a pin hitter in her back row rotations, can give us the passing game we need. And if our passing remains as it has the past few years, Higgins will continue to be “mediocre”. It’s important to keep in mind, however, that Higgins didn’t come out of high school nationally celebrated. Higgins is reliant on a UH system that competes with more academically and financially prestigious schools by transforming “mediocre” athletes. It’s my trust in that system that has made me finally stop calling out to bring in KK because that system feels that Higgins continues to be our best S. When Iosia arrives in 2016, Higgins starter status will likely remain unchallenged, another legacy of the UH system – one that values seniority. In the end, colleges serve their students best when they teach that winning isn’t everything. Respect for one’s elders and one’s competitors (who are your teammates, in this case) are more valuable to a young person’s development than the sole pursuit of winning.
Higgins didn’t come out of high school nationally celebrated? She was #19 on Prep Volleyball’s 2013 list of Senior Aces, and a 2013 Fab 50 selection by volleyball magazine. If I’m not mistaken she was the highest-rated player nationally to join the Wahine program since Jane Croson.
4. disagree with you on many fronts. If and when Mitchem is cleared. she’ll be in the mix, just not sure where. Legit 6-3 and very athletic. Of the three freshmen, Shoji said Granato has the most developed skill set. But they will have to earn it.
Kahakai is the libero and I don’t see her getting replaced by any of the other DSs. She played very well in Europe and looks healed, no brace.
And Higgins is hardly mediocre.
5. Granato is not going to play L. And Higgins was very highly ranked coming out of Punahou. And I find your analysis of the ‘UH system’c very off base. If it is ‘seniority based’ then how do you explain the number of conference Freshman of the Year awards the program has received.
I do see Iosia giving Higgins a push in 2016. which could lead to Koelsch going to beach solely.
6. thank you for backing that up about Higgins.
Camp is two weeks off. hoping we can keep the ‘wackiness’ toned down until then.
new thread up for Saturday