Links for MPSF semifinals 4-24
Am traveling today so likely won’t be updating. but feel free to do so.
BYUtv will broadcast the UC Santa Barbara vs. BYU match Thursday and the championship match Saturday should BYU advance.
BYUTV on OC409 for thise who have it
Thursday’s semifinal between Stanford and Pepperdine will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Links to live video streaming and live stats for both matches, as well as live audio streaming for the UC Santa Barbara vs. BYU match, are available on the BYU men’s volleyball schedule page.
Frist semi 1 p.m. HST
# 2 Seed Pepperdine vs. # 3 Seed Stanford;
Live Streaming Video Feed: The W TV
Live Stats: No. 2 Seed Pepperdine vs. No. 3 Seed Stanford
second semi no earlier than 4 p.m. HST
4 Seed UC Santa Barbara at # 1 Seed BYU; 8:00 pm (MT)
Live Television: BYU TV
Live BYU TV Video Stream: BYU TV
Live Radio: Sirius XM 143
Live Stats:No. 4 Seed UCSB at No. 1 Seed BYU
MPSF CHAMPIONSHIP: 7:00 pm (MT)
Saturday, Apr. 26; Semifinal Winners (Host: # 1 Seed BYU)
Live Stats:MPSF Championship Match
Just released at 7am HT from the AVCA. Congrats to Taylor Averill (1st team) and Brook Sedore (Honorable Mention) for being recognized by the AVCA Committee
2014 AVCA Men’s Division I-II All-America Teams
1st Team-Taylor Averill
Honorable Mention-Brook Sedore
Notable players who graduated from Hawai’i High Schools
1st Team-Micah Christenson (USC, Kamehameha)
1st Team-Taylor Crabb (Long Beach State, Punahou)
2nd Team-Henry Cassiday (USC, Punahou)
2nd Team-Josh Taylor (Pepperdine, Punahou)
For the link to see the all three teams (First, Second and Honorable Mention, go here – http://www.avca.org/awards/all-america/men/#DivisionI-II
Congrats to Averill and Sedore!
So happy for Taylor , he really deserved it.
Congrats to taylor and sedore. Im so glad averill was recognized. Hawaii had not so great of a season, but taylor was defanitely a first teamer
Wahine are short a DS and Setter now that Kayla Kawamura and Kyra Goodman have decided not to return
5. Explains the late addition of Koelsch and Anderson. Kind of surprised the two are not returning
I’m not really surprised, I didn’t really think Goodman would get much playing time and Kawamura’s role as serving sub would probably be taken by Passi. With both luck and would be interested to find out where they are headed next.
wish not with*
6. Is it confirmed that koelsch is playing indoors? And who’s Anderson?
I wonder when Koelsch’s addition to indoor team will be announced, she must be a walk on if its not.
Also hope UH announces sand signings soon as well. Sammie brown and the german girl hopefully.
9. On the other thread LC posted a link of her saying she will play both on social media.
Anderson is Clare Anderson the starting libero for Imi Ike and is from Punahou. She is a walk-on
Know some people hate talking about who’s on scholarship and what not, but whatever if you don’t like it skip this post.
All seem to be scholarship players, that means UH might have one left or maybe two if Koelsch is a walk on.
Wonder if i one will be given to Mendoza or another transfer (hopefully and OH)
Well they’ll need a setter to back up Higgins
That’s what Koelsch is for I assume.
Does anyone think Dave will run a 6-2 with kendra playing full rotations because she is an OH, with passi coming in for higgins when she comes in the front. Kendra is way too good not to be a starter or a constant player
You have seen Koelsch Play?
16. I have seen clips and volleytalk is full with people saying she could be the starting setter.
Interesting now there is 8 returning players and 8 new players. Will definetly be a rebuilding season.
Since Goodman is gone, Koelsch will most likely be the backup setter. I don’t see her winning over the starting spot over Higgins. Don’t get me wrong, Koelsch is good but right now I see her as a blocking sub for Higgins or she will have a chance to play opposite.
She looked pretty good at the opposite position. The fact that she can set, makes her that much more valuable. I dunno if I would consider this a rebuilding year. More like reloading instead. I feel alot more optimistic now than I did 3 months ago. With the addition of Koelsch & Magil, the starting seven is beginning to look more solid.
Congrats to averill and sedore !! Averill is the only middle on the first team.
UC Santa Barbara if they advance in the Saturday’s final vs. Pepperdine or Stanford, I will have to give the MPSF bid to UC Santa Barbara for their style of playing and for their seed in the MPSF. Strong blocking and high percentage of kills will go a long way. UC Santa Barbara gets the best shot at claiming MPSF and National title.
UC Santa Barbara, Regular season 2014
They beat the best because of MPSF style of play
W L % H A WS overall
16 8 .667 11-2 5-6 W2 17 8
One more note before I end and wait and see. Pepperdine, BYU, Stanford, claim to be the top in the MPSF in terms of percentage and records. Should UC Santa Barbara make it through, the teams in the MPSF should propel them to a higher level of play. BYU 18-6, only losing to the #10 seed, Hawai’i shows that MPSF can take another title in NCAA history. But who will win and who will go for the title? I think the stats will prevail. Records and percentage will prove a higher level of play for the MPSF and therefore, a National title for any team in the MPSF.
an mpsf team will win the national title? …. wow, you’re really going out on a limb there, tiki808 ….
12. It means free ride to play. Just food.
12. Don’t forget that they need to have at least 2 or 3 scholarships available for 2015 (Castillo, Granato, and hopefully Mitchem). I can see Mendoza getting a scholarship since she’s going to be a senior but I doubt that they pick up another transfer unless she’s a senior or a walk on.
Even monica stauber left the UCLA team.
Maybe she’s coming back?
Or maybe just wishful thinking.
If not, who would be transferring in to play backup setter?
27. Already been mentioned that Kendra Koelsch is a setter for her club team, do not see a need for Stauber to be brought back.
26. I see that they will need three for 2015 but I see no reason why they can’t use up all 12 of the scholarships for this season.
especially since a few players will probably move on like the past seasons.
24. who else are you going for?
Let me guess, you think I’m from Waimea High School, and so you write? For who and why? Just the games!
I think Higgins and Koelsch will start with a 6-2. Saw Kendra Koelsch play at the Ann Kang Inviational in August 2013 and she’s an OH/setter and I wondered where she was going play in college. I was surprised that she was going to be a Sandbow so I watched her play at least 6 times.
tiki — i’m sensing you didn’t get my sarcasm 😉
stanford just destroyed pepperdine, -16 -19 -16
Stanford vs. BYU, MPSF finals Saturday match. In the final 4, Winner MPSF final vs. Loser of semifinal MPSF (this match) If it’s “Stanford”. Otherwise, BYU vs. Loser (other semi MPSF match UCSB). This will give them the greatest chance to win in NCAA title round.
USCB won over Pepperdine in the regular season. Pepperdine’s chances of an at large bid back into the NCAA final 4 is lost. No way! why?
Kupono Fey was selected to USA Men’s Junior National Training Team along with returnee Evan Enriques
With Kawamura & Goodman leaving, where are they headed to?
Anyone know the progression of Long? Great beach player. Hopefully it helps her to get a starting role.
37. Long is good on the beach, but indoor she still needs work IMO. If kalei Greeley pans out like people say she will, long will have a hard time getting a spot. But who knows. Maybe this years beach improved her indoor game tremendously
imho….long will be a better player…but u r correct brandon…still a mountain to climb for a starting position…bch will help…imo…mo only…if u can play bch…u can play indoor…if u can play indoor…does not mean u can play bch…again ju mo…
39. Not nessesarly true. Being good at beach definitely helps your indoor game and for most but it’s not always the case. Summer ross is an amazing beach player, but she sort of struggled indoor at Washington. It all depends on your game. But long definitely has potential to improve.
27. Saw Sealy today at UCLA. gave me a tour of the new Pauley Pavilion. very impressive.
He told me that Stauber has retired from volleyball so, no, she id down playing and is finishing her degree at UCLA.
Since the NCAA tourney has expanded to 6 teams, I think it’s a real possibility that BYU, Stanford and Pepperdine all get in
#40…..please take a look…..at my post….#39….my opinion….my opinion…only…
43. Yes. That’s why I didn’t attack you nor did I say you were wrong. Just stated it depends on the girl. Girls like kerri walsh, misty may, etc, are great examples of what you stated. But some girls just shine more on the beach. Every girl is different.
hahaha…dont know wat happened….didnt man to post # 45
Congrats to Kupono! Kid has a very bright future.
.47 true and it’s a shame that he didn’t play more, he was always impressive whenever Wade played him though, good in the backroow , decent hitter and hit for a better percentage than Olsen, and good server too. Too bad most of his freshmen year was wasted on the bench, wish he had redshirted instead and UH had him for four more years.
23. UCSB is out of contention since they lost to BYU.
I never understood why Wade was so high on Olsen. I remember reading somewhere Wade saying he likes to stay with his starters and not pull them for making mistakes. With that mentality, he is not going to be successful.
50. Shoji has the same problem at times, but shoji is less stubborn.
49. don’t think that was the entire quote from Wade.
As for a 6-2, i think that Shoji will look at what he has in double-days and decide from there.