UCI 3, Hawaii 2 3-9
Apologize but been at Chaminade for their DII BK tournament announcement
Anyway, UCI wins Set 1 25-20, Hawaii leads almost from the start in Set 2 in winning 25-17
match on radio only 1420-AM online at espn1420am.com
Live stats at
Have to write the Chamiande story. will try to drop in when I can with updates.
thanks for the new thread, like I said UH really needs this W.
FormerlyWarriorfan, are you the same as Warriorfan?
Yep, and UGH here we go again, already down by a lot in the 3rd.
Seriously they continue to play Olsen and he continues to underperform.
UH loses Set 2 25-15. having a tough time with La Cavera, who has 6 aces, 3 each in Set 1 and 3
I don’t get why Wade waits so long to make any coaching adjustments. So much for having depth if you don’t use it. I would pull Ramos and Olsen.
UH leads 4-1 in Set 4. TO UCI
Subbing Holt for West will fix everything. Wade is a genius!
.5 Hope Emily’s arm injury isn’t serious.
Wow looks like each team is taking turns killng each other per set. UH now is the one rolling.
What’s the score
I heard she had shoulder surgery
Olsen continues to hold serve. he has an ace and UH on an 8-0 run. UCI calls another TO. it’s 9-1
15. hoping she is ok. will check on that.
Nice service run by Olsen. Hopefully that puts him into the zone.
12. easy to follow on game tracker. link listed above.
UH up 18-6
7-16 so is Olden forgiven?
UH finally ends it on a UCI service error, 25-15 and it wasn’t that close.
He’s an up and down player. Seems to be easily distracted. When he is good (and in the zone), he is very good. But when he is bad — well I just don’t think I would let the team go down by so many points. Same for when Ramos is struggling as much as he has lately.
It was 23-12 and 24-13
If anything Olsen should be a serving sub, his hitting percentage is woeful, I think Fey could be doing so much better offensively.
I was out for a while. Warriorfan, how come you changed your user name to Formerlywarriorfan? Have you become disenchanted because of their losses?
I just think any player that is struggling, should be pulled. Hawaii has depth that is not being used. It just seems that other coaches are a little better at playing that type of chess game.
Olsen is the tai of this team. When they’re on, they’re good and the team does good. But when they’re off (which is more times than good) they’re off and the team suffers.
2 blocks and UH up 7-5 in Set 5
Blocking coming up huge, they really need this.
Critical call, holt called for a net on the overpass kills. it’s now tied 8-8. TO UH.
Siki is in the zone
UH up 12-10. UCI calls its last TO. Timmer holding serve.
UCI answers with a 4-0 run, takes the 13-12 lead. TO UH
Giving up three straight SMH!!
just set Siki tonight!
Why would Wade use Hartley as blocking sub and leave no setter?
Siki hits long, UH loses 18-16
UH had two match points, UCI 3. back in a bit
Ugh , Siki was hot all night but he’s so unreliable. Really terrible loss.
What’s wrong with this team. They always mess up at the end.
Sorry they lost, 16-18 in the 5th game. Just couldn’t pull it off. UH
33. I agree with you. It proved to be a critical error. It’s too bad that UH couldn’t capitalize on its match points. Scott Hartley has been a non-factor, missing serves and not contributing anything valuable to the team. Unfortunately Ziki hit long. A heart-breaker all right. But let’s look at it at a longer perspective. At least the guys are alive and well.
I keep thinking of the missing Malaysian plane with all its passengers probably at the bottom of the ocean. Now that is really sad. We’ll get over this one, too.
I think best if we should eat our own bread. UH is probably over for the season. 2 down to UC Irvine is a tough loss. Maybe next year. This year was a good run at something. Possibly MPSF showing or playoffs.
UH doesn’t play particularly well on the road, so they need to win or split the home matches…I know it’s still early, but this one may come back to haunt them…
Would the sub rules have allowed Nick to come in for Timmer at the end?
I believe so but they play different positions
38. Just think if he had put in Franciskovic, Hawaii could have probably converted that point and been up 14-13. I looked it up and Franciskovic has 8 blocks in his very limited playing time versus Hartley with 3. Seems like a coaching blunder and disappointing.
42. Timmer started for Holt so he could serve twice. We ended the match with him in the front row because he had come in to serve for Holt the second time. So we needed a middle blocker/hitter at the end of the match.
Wade makes way too many substitutions that make no sense.
40. It’s not early theres only 8 matches left, charlie wade coached teams Never win in Palo Alto and winning at Pepperdine will be hard as well and then BYU comes in and they are much better than this UCI team. I think you can stick a fork in them. UCI and Stanford will probably go to the playoffs instead.
45. they won in Palo Alto 2 years ago, splitting the series.
& for those of you who missed the write-up..
45. It’s back from PacWest “reporting” (Yay!) 😉
47. quit being such a jerk. I am so tired of your meanness and personal attacks from your various personalities. and then to apologize by saying ‘We.’
for one thing that was my online story that I posted and is on another thread. so that is deleted from here.
for another, the results that were posted from sand yesterday on the blog had Chaminade listed. their team designations is CU. not my fault you couldn’t figure that out.
they were not involved in Friday play.
46. sorry I’ve blocked that 7 win season away from my memory.
47, wish Cindy would ban you, no one likes your messages!!
I apologize to the rest of you. some of this conversation makes no sense since I have deleted several posts from IOY/CBS/et al. it is very tiring and I don’t have the time to defend myself to someone who apologizes using ‘We.’ and continues to make fun of my ethnicity and religion and asks for personal information.and now taking potshots at my son.
46. Stanford is on fire right now. They destroyed USC today (at USC) and beat Pepperdine in 4 (at Pepp). I think it is going to be tough given the coaching decisions Wade and company tend to make. Pepperdine may be easier to beat than Stanford at this time.
Ugh. Hawaii should have won this one tonight. Another missed opportunity. Can’t wait to hear the spin on this match.
the only for sure wins left are at Pacific, This team should shave been top 5 in the league with all the talent they had coming back, Wade needs to go, and yes I’m very frustrated but I still think UH can get a better coach.
36. how quickly you forget last week’s 5-set win over UCLA. and the 5-set win over Long Beach State.
agree that Stanford is on a roll, and mentioned early USC was fading.
guess you’ll have to wait for Tsai’s story Monday for the spin. Bottom line .. they were up 12-9 and couldn’t close. Reminded of Friday when up 18-12 in Set 2.
44. Did ask my son whether West could have come in for Timmer. He is a certified ref and scorekeeper for vb, coaches club and high school, His comments:
He didn’t set Holt hit the net on the overpass and neither did Tsai, who is two seats away. He said the double on Sedore was a more legit call than the one on Holt
now on to the West-Timmer issue.
Men’s volleyball only has six subs. Starters can only be subbed out once and re-enter once.
They started Timmer in the service position, wanting him to get two serving rotations in
He subs out for Holt. Timmer returns for Holt at 11-10, after Holt served once. At that point, Timmer can’t be subbed out since he is a starter who has already re-entered once. He then is stuck in the lineup.
IMHO, the poor substitution was the 6-5 Hartley for Ramos at 13-13. They had no setter at that point and didn’t get the block. UCI goes up 14-13, Ramos returns after 1 play. Perhaps the better sub would have been the 6-5 Franciskovic
51. I think I speak for the vast majority here when I say that you don’t need to apologize. The level of immaturity/absurdity of IOY/CBS/ad nauseam is well deserved of all the unspoken and occasional spoken knock-it-offs. While I have learned to skip past posts from this individual, you don’t have that luxury.
55. Thank you for insight!
Cindy I suggest blocking that entity. Obviously, he wants attention with his posts of endless lists and nonsense. Since everyone has been ignoring him, he’s resorted to personally insulting you.
56-7. not easily done. gotta go through other people to make it happen. Only have done it twice because I was able to show cause: personal threats and vulgarity.
But it has become very wearing and sometimes I don’t want to turn on the computer.
Appreciate the support.
Cindy you don’t deserve the attacks you get from that guy. He uses multiple accounts to troll and attack you, and doesn’t cc care about it. He doesn’t appreciate the fact that you don’t get paid for this. You do this for the fans. Don’t apologize to people like that. Wish it was easier to block someone, because everyone is done with that person
59. thank you. am working on it. he has the same IP despite his multiple personalities so I can track it that way.
But I did want to clear up one thing that the above mentioned poster wrote (before deleted) about my son. He is the 1420/1500 radio guy for UH men’s volleyball, color for wahine volleyball and basketball and does online broadcasts for streaming live and the HHSAA. The comment really bothered me.
I’m glad he has a different last name to avoid any perception of nepotism. I use my maiden name for my by-line because that’s what it was for some 10 years before I got married.
My son holds a B.A. in Communications from Pepperdine, was their broadcaster for men’s and women’s volleyball, some other sports, some TV, mostly radio for four years, was a practice player for the women’s volleyball team, and received the sportscaster of the year from the school upon graduation in 2008.
That he has the job he has now is all his doing. He started out at KKEA doing behind the scenes stuff, mostly unpaid, and now runs the boards for some of the morning shows and coaches call-in shows (paid, yay).
He works very hard at game prep and we are big on trivia stuff that adds to both his game-calling and my writing. As Shoji once said to me, “where do you find these things?’
He’s been very fortunate to have been mentored by wonderful radio and TV people, here and in L.A. Happy and grateful that both Don and Scott Robbs think he is worth mentoring and have helped him along the past few years.
He has amazing insight into both volleyball and basketball. Is a certified coach, ref, scorekeeper and statistician. He played on ‘Iolani’s state volleyball title team in 03, the backup setter for Sean Carney and set the team when Carney made a few campus visits on the mainland. He has coached club volleyball for nearly 10 years ever since finishing his club playing career. He’s been with Teoni Obrey at Ku’ikahi since also playing for the club and also has been an assistant for MPI and ‘Iolani at the non-varsity level.
So, yes, I have not problem asking him for clarification on some rules because there have been a few changes that I wasn’t up on.
His name is Tiff — not Biff — short for Christopher, Wells. The story behind ‘tiff’ is a long one and i think i’ve bored you all enough right now.
thank you again for all the support
Cindy, Tiff is doing a great job.
61.Thank you. I’m a little biased and rarely get to listen to him since I usually sit at the other side of press row for VB. But he has grown since his days at Pepperdine. We talked a little about his job yesterday since his voice has been shot for a week. Told him I thought he painted the picture really well, especially since there was no TV. He says: i have to. that’s radio. Really good guy and hard worker and he really knows volleyball.