Yep, we made it.
The Warrior Beat is 5 years old today.
They say most businesses don’t survive five years. We’re fortuante that we’re not a business.
We’re a bunch of ordinary folks who got together — and for many, stayed together — because of our interest in Warrior football.
Which is why it was a good thing that the proposed blog name, Tsai’s Matters, was nixed.
Through the years, we made some good friends. And we lost some dear ones, like Florida Ted, Long Time UH Fan, and the wives of Curvelball and Pomai.
We’ve had fun. We’ve been charmed and bossed around by the Pink Side. (Don’t ever mess with Esme’s dearest mommies.)
We had a few, uh, breaks, but we never really went away, thanks to the lifeboats.
We’ve had arguments — mostly over softball, for some reason — but in the end, everything works out.
One snap and clear, as June Jones always says.
• To the blog’s creators, Sandee Oshiro and Mark Platte, We did a month of test runs before they agreed to launch the blog on the public.
• To Dennis Francis, Dave Kennedy, Frank Bridgewater and Paul Arnett for giving the blog a new home.
• To sportshawaii.com, uhfootball.blogspot.com, and warriorsportsnework for creating the market and setting an excellent tone.
• To the technology staff, led by Scott Morifuji, and among many who helped along the way, such as John Garcia, Brien Ng and Andreas Arvman.
• To Dayton Morignaga, Stacy Kaneshiro and “Ferd” Lewis.
• To Virginia Hinshaw, Jim Donovan, Greg McMackin, June Jones, Colt Brennan, Adam Leonard, Davone Bess and Derek Inouchi for allowing acess to the football program.
• To SteveM for serving as archivist.
• To brother Mike, Lei Colburn, Debbie Sokei Sorenson, Devon Tsai, Kortney Kikiloi, Wena Tsai, Christie Lee Williams, Jim Leahey, Robert Kekaula and Kay Miyabe for serving as creative consultants.
• To Avis Yasumura (one of Kaiser’s nurses of the year) for running our contests.
• To Midori7 for serving as office administrator.
• To Myki, SJMacro, Rick, Slugger, Craig Kojima and Jason Kaneshiro for filling in the blog host after he shows up tardy for practices.
• To Princes Leila, who came up with the nickname and drew the audience.
• To A-Joe, A-Sports, Mr. and Mrs. A-House, Al, Annodah Dave, Anthony Pollard, BG, Big Hilo Fan, Big Wave, Brew, Mr. and Mrs. Bulla, Calvin from Kona, Chawan Cut, Coloma, Curt, Curveball, D1 Shima, Darren, Derek, DPK, DJMitcho, Duffer, Esme, Garret, Gigi-Hawaii, GMA Honey, G-Nalo, Hiflyer, Homey, J, Jack Flash, JaM, (Jesse) James, Jason, Jojo, Jm2375, Kama Crab, Kevin/Kazz, Kekoa, Kinda Shy, Koakane, Liane, Liz Kauai, Kymry, LK, Mark Takai, Midnight, Myki, Oldie, Pauoa Boy, Powder Puff, Pride, Protector, RainbowCliff, Ralph, Rich2176, Rob25, Ronnie, Sailor Blue, SJMacro, Slugger, Sleez, Stretch, Terry Brennan, Tom Mui, UH Fan 808, Warrior Mojo, Wafan, Wassup Doc, Whitey, WreckinEyez.
SteveM said there are about 2,800 “credible/plausible” names that have posted. Here are a few:
702warriorfan, 808ike, ai-eee-soos, aiea boy, Ala Wai, Anfield, Ankle Breaker, Ballpicker, Believe808, Beowulf, Big Isalnd Kurt, Billy V, Bleeds Green, Bob Lundy, Bobo, Bowman, Brian Kajiyama, Bryson, Bstunna2002, Buffoman, Bugaz, Bungahead, Cheepono, Chicken Grease, Chopsueyboy, Coloma Ohana, Cool Ethan, Craig Stutzmann, dabowman, Darren, Don Weir, Duster, ewagirl, Guava, Haka, Hank, HawaiianHawkeye, Hawaiian Kiko, Heineken, Hoohiki, Inokea, Irse, Island Girl, isleboy, Jay, Jeezy, Kama Krab, Kapakahi, Kawika49, Lava, Loa, Lopoka43, Lupchong, Manoa Mist, McTruck, Nalani, Peaches, Pearl City Fan, Rage, RainbowCliff, ScottSportsHawaii, Seasider, Spike, Sweety, Taebo, Tanks Ah, TK, Tombo Ahi, True Green, Ty-Aiea, WSF, Warrior Sun, VB fan, WarriorMama, UkuLA.
Apologies for those I failed to acknowledge. Blame it on me being freakin’ old.
Thanks again, everyone.
And in the words of the Flintstones . . . Happy Anniversary song.