Just thinking . . .
• If UH won’t schedule a 13th game, how about a battle of the bands?
• If I read one more story about the UH athletic department’s financial woes, I might stick a fork in my eye. Or better yet, how about taking a stab at this: Forgive the deficit. The accumulated deficit of about $10 million is covered from a fund built on contributions from various campus departments. Consider it to be like a credit union. So, yes, it’s other people’s money. Real money. The reality is the IOU is just too much. Let’s say the athletic department has an extremely good year and turns a $2 million profit. That still leaves $8 million on the loan. The chances of the department having that great a year, in this economy, isn’t very good. Five consecutive great years and, well, you can figure those odds. So write it off as a fool-me-once lesson and give the athletic department a bad credit rating. And after that, if it operates at a loss, let it sell off furniture or Sugar Bowl rings. Besides, the athletic department helps out enough by relinquishing parking money and providing a market that allows the school to sell H merchandise. What other choice is there? It’s not like Upper Campus can foreclose on the tennis team.
• All the momentum the basketball Rainbows built with the upset of Idaho is out the door, along with the seniors and the three recent departures. With every divorce, there’s enough blame to share. Everyone is entitled to a mulligan. The second chance begins now.
• If Tavita Woodard remains at tight end, then the defense needs to give back Craig Cofer. The offense can’t be taking away two defensive ends.
• Every time it is suggested that UH have a fund-raising concert or movie night in the Stan Sheriff Center, somebody always douses the idea, citing traffic concerns and a deal with the City that nobody can quite figure out. To that, there is a two-word rebuttal: Dalai Lama. Tibet’s spiritual leader spoke to a packed Sheriff Center at roughly the same time as a softball doubleheader was being played. Anything is possible.