• Defensive end Tavita Woodard has a broken right foot and will undergo surgery to insert a protective plate. He will miss the season opener.
• As we all expected, Mike Edwards has been promoted to a No. 1 cornerback.
• Edwards also has been named the No. 1 kickoff returner.
• John Hardy-Tuliau, who was the No. 1 right cornerback, is now the No. 1 free safety.
• If the season were to open today, the starting defense would be (depending on the situation): LE Liko Satele or Zach Masch, LT Vaughn Meatoga, RT Kaniela Tuipulotu, RE Paipai Falemalu, SLB Art Laurel, MLB Corey Paredes, WLB Aaron Brown, BCB Mike Edwards, FS/NB John Hardy-Tuliau, SS Richard Torres, FCB Tank Hopkins, NB/FS Kenny Estes.
• In nickel situations, Estes enters as either a nickel or free safety, with Hardy-Tuliau playing free safety or nickel; Laurel plays elephant in place of Satele, Masch or one of the defensive tackles.
• Backup right guard David Lefotu won’t know results of MRI on his left knee until tomorrow.
• Starting right tackle Sean Shigematsu wore an icepack on his right shoulder. He sat out the final segment of yesterday’s practice, although the ailment does not appear to be serious.
• Warriors do not practice today. Expect left wideout Darius Bright (turf toe), left slotback Billy Ray Stutzmann (tight hamstring) and center Matagisila Lefiti (strained left PCL) to resume practicing tomorrow. Miah Ostrowski (tight hamstring) is still iffy.
• The Warriors have practiced against the offensive schemes used by their first three opponents — Colorado, Washington and UNLV.
• The running back position remains a tie with Sterling Jackson and Joey Iosefa … and John Lister. Yep, although jackson and Iosefa have earned most of the rave reviews, Lister remains in the running.
• UH VP Rockne Freitas, who helped negotiate the Warriors move to the Mountain West next year, attended yesterday’s practice. At head coach Greg McMackin’s request, Freitas was invited to address the team. One of his messages: The Warriors have been known as a hard-hitting team, so hit ’em hard.
• Mark Thursday on your calendar. The Warriors will have a full-contact scrimmage. At least that’s what they told the referees.
• And in the trenches:
* * * * *
BigWave reminds us the Buffaloes are coming in 20 days . . .