Another UH coaching vacancy, another search committee.
Let’s shake it up. We suggest the following for the committee:
• Dennis Christianson — Face it, the basketball program needs an image boost. Last year, the Anthology Marketing Group won six Pele awards, which is local advertising’s equivalent of the Oscars. Clients include Microsoft, Sprint, Marriott, Hawaiian Airlines, Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau, American Savings, Farmers Hawaii, Bank of Hawaii and Hawaiian Telcom. Never met Christianson. Couldn’t even say if he’s dead or alive. But he’s listed as Anthology’s head honcho. That’s good enough for a seat on the committee.
• Dennis Agena — He coaches basketball 364 days a year. This is a leap year, so he’s working 365. In any case, he does have a free day to serve on the committee.
• Nani Cockett — Every year, the Rainbow Wahine recruiters keep searching for the next Nani Cockett. Maybe Nani Cockett can help find the coach who can complete the circle.
• Michael Dahilig — If only all fans could be like the guy with the H shirt who is yelling and screaming and having a good ol’ time. Then you realize, that super fan is … a Regent? Somehow the Regents will have some sort of say in the hiring, so why not include a UH graduate who really cares about the school’s athletic future? Plus, he’s a lawyer who once served as the ASUH president. He’s seen UH from several sides.
• Rebecca Lobo — If we’re going to think outside the box, let’s go outside the state. Lobo was a great player who is now an insightful basketball analyst. She has numerous connections. She could help make it a search committee instead of a screening committee.
* * * * *
Congrats to the volleyball Warriors for upsetting Stanford last night. If they win six of their final eight — and the schedule will be more favorable down the stretch — that should be good enough for a berth in the MPSF tournament.
* * * * *
Happy belated birthday to Debbie (Sokei) Sorenson.