I was cleaning out the files at home when I came across the news release for the Warriors’ 2009 recruiting class. I was surprised to remember that five members were on the All-State first team — quarterback Cayman Shutter, receiver Billy Ray Stutzmann, offensive lineman Chauncy Winchester-Makainai, and defensive backs Aulola Tonga and Kamalani Alo.
Here’s a look at that class:
• Kamalani Alo — Top special teams player; backup outside linebacker.
• T.J. Alofipo — Did not qualify; attended Arizona Western College.
• Kalani Brackenridge — Played baseball.
• Rodney Bradley — Started at left wideout.
• Aaron Brown — Tw0-year starter at linebacker.
• George Daily-Lyles — In rotation at inside linebacker.
• Lametrius Davis — Started at cornerback.
• Chizzy Dimude — Was the backup running back.
• David Graves — Enters spring training as No. 1 quarterback.
• Alex Green — Only 1,000-yard rusher in UH’s four-side offense; member of the Green Bay Packers.
• David Hafoka — Accepted a medical retirement.
• Tank Hopkins — Started at cornerback.
• Joey Iosefa — Started at running back.
• Brett Leonard — Started at left guard and left tackle.
• John Lister — Backup running back, key member of special teams.
• Jordan Loeffler — Backup left tackle.
• Chad Lopati — Did not qualify.
• Benson Maafala — Did not qualify.
• Marcus Malepeai — Backup defensive end.
• Veni Manu — Quit team in 2010.
• Zach Masch — Started at left end.
• Corey Nieslen — Scout quarterback transferred to Saint Francis.
• Deondre Powell — Did not qualify.
• Cayman Shutter — Backup quarterback.
• Destin Stewart — Met NCAA standards, but was not accepted by UH; went to Tulsa.
• Billy Ray Stutzmann —Starting left slotback.
• Aulola Tonga — Left team because of personal reasons.
• Michael Wadsworth — Top special teams player in 2010; spent past two years on church mission.
• Chauncy Winchester-Makainai — Started on offensive line.
* * * * *
Gus Tuaniga and Shane Welch have been cleared to play in today’s volleyball match. It’s up to the coaches to determine whether they are ready to play.