Avis’ sister, Denise Fong, has selected Ralph as the winner of six tickets to tonight’s baseball game.
Thanks again for playing:
* * * * *
Safety Aulola Tonga, who was on the travel roster for all but one road trip last year, said there is a possibility he might delay plans to go on a church mission. His plans called for starting a two-year mission this summer.
The Warriors believe Tonga has the frame to play anywhere from safety to defensive end.
* * * * *
Sure, we’ve heard the whispered scenarios. But by law, the vacancy for the director of player personnel is open to all qualified applicants and does not necessarily have to go to a staff member. (In fact, twice when UH tried a similar type of move — in 2001 and 2007 — the jobs went to people who were not the expected leading candidates.)
Because the job entails mostly recruiting, how about these as candidates:
• Dick Tomey. He knows Hawaii. Heck, he lives in Hawaii. And he knows how to recruit.
• Sam Papalii. When he was a competing recruiter, Papalii was referred to as “Darth Vader” because of his aggressive tactics. Papalii is great at evaluating talent and, most of all, he usually gets his man.
• Jackson Wheeler. Isn’t he a basketball associate coach? Sure. But he knows talent. He brought Ikaika Alama-Francis to the UH campus. He has contacts across the country. He knows how to recruit. And, most of all, he knows how to get on recruits to do the work necessary to become eligible. I can’t name one of his recruits who didn’t make it into school, and this is a guy who recruits JCs and internationally.
• Doris Sullivan. Face it. She’s already doing the job. For 500 schools.
* * * * *
It is disturbing that the UH athletic department’s accumulated deficit — think of it as a charge card bill — is approaching eight figures.
What to do … what to do …
Since the Regents won’t consider student fees until the chancellor makes a proposal, and she’s not making a proposal, then let’s figure out some money-making ideas. How about this:
• Hold a big concert in the Stan Sheriff Center, with proceeds going to the athletic department. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We’ve heard rumblings that UH isn’t supposed to compete against the Blaisdell. But there already have been concerts held in SSC — Christina Aguilera, New Hope — and, besides, this is an election year. Think Mufi is going to sue?
• June Jones didn’t lobby to change the UH nickname and logo because he didn’t like rainbows. He ushered the change because he wanted UH to sell more T-shirts. The H logo was brilliant, and the accompanying on-field success made it profitable. Only UH screwed up the rights fee. So JJ came back with the eo na toa line, which would sell more T-shirts, only this time the profits would go to the athletic department. He tried to give the rights to the previous AD, but when nothing was done, JJ just did the marketing on his own. So let’s steal JJ’s plan. Rebranding means more T-shirt sales. This time, let’s hold a contest. The student who designs the best Warrior logo gets free tuition. The athletic department then can keep the copyrights to the design, and sell their own T-shirts. Might as well use that Asian market that’s always being discussed.
• Want a cut of the concessions? Do what clubs and teams do: Work the concession. OK, the profits aren’t very big. But after three years of work, my daughters’ class was able to pay for the senior class trip. And it would be kind of nice to see Donovan, Clapp and McNamara making the garlic fries.