• Running back Jake Heun was out t here, helmet in hand. But Greg McMackin said it is unlikely that Heun will play this weekend.
• Looks like the Allen-Jones brothers — C.J. and Cameron — are the No. 2 defensive ends. The No. 2 defensive tackles are Vaughn Meatoga and Tuika Tufaga.
• And Desmond Thomas has emerged as a No. 1 safety in the Okie defense (3-3-5). Thomas comes in for Erik “E-Rob” Robinson.
• Brysen Ginlack was back at left guard. He started on Saturday, but was replaced by Raphael Ieru in the second half.
• Dan Kelly again was held out of practice. He was given two days off to rest his legs. He resumes practicing tomorrow.
* * *
Every year, there’s an off-the-radar player who steps in and makes an impact.
Last year, it was running back Daniel Libre.
Last week, it was running back Jayson Rego.
And this week it could be defensive tackle Tuika Tufaga, who should provide help in the rotation.
Even before defensive tackle Fale Laeli suffered an ankle injury against Weber State, he was limited because of tendinitis in his right knee. He missed all of spring practice and most of training camp. And he was limited against Florida.
Tufaga, a Kahuku High graduate, is a feisty defensive lineman who should provide depth at a thinning position. Vaughn Meatoga also will have to step up as another backup to starting defensive tackles Keala Watson and Josh Leonard.
* * *
Laeli and offensive guard Raphael Ieru are proof that surgery alone does not take care of a knee injury.
The follow-up is just as important because post-surgery injuries are vulnerable to tendinitis and arthritis and other things ending in “-tis.” Last year, Laeli was the last to the training table because he would rest his aching knee after practice.
Ieru undergoes constant treatment for an injury suffered three years ago.
That’s why it was a shame when some booed the team at the end of first half. If they only knew the sacrifice and commitment many of the players make to just get through a practice.
* * *
After the Florida game, “Ferd” went to Peru. He ate this delicacy. Guess what it is.