Wahine sand falls to The Beach 5-0
Sorry was at Punahou for the Clash of the Titans.
The Hawaii women’s sand volleyball team was back in action on the road with a pair of dual matches held at Irvine Valley College. The Rainbow Wahine defeated the host Lasers, 4-1, before being blanked by No. 2 Long Beach State, 5-0.
The Rainbow Wahine (4-4) relatively cruised against Irvine Valley (4-4). UH scored all four of its points in straight-set fashion, including a dominant 21-8, 21-11 win by Katie Spielerand Ginger Long over Laruen Bender-Emily Daily on the No. 4 court. Hawai’i’s lone loss came on the feature court, where Allie Cook and Annie Mitchem out-lasted Jane Crosonand Ashley Kastl, 13-21, 21-19, 15-8.
Meanwhile, in their second meeting in less than 10 days, Long Beach State (11-1) shutout Hawai’i. The 49ers defeated UH, 4-1, in Long Beach on March 26. Again, the rematch was much closer than the score indicated. The 49ers won the top three flights in straight sets, but courts No. 4 and 5 went down to the wire. In the end, the duos of Spieler- Long and Ku`ulei Zalopany–Olivia Urban each came up short in the final set by tight 15-13 and 15-12 scores, respectively.
The Rainbow Wahine will next travel up the road Malibu where they will face top-ranked and defending national champion Pepperdine, as well as No. 4 USC, Saturday, April 6 at Zuma Beach. Duals between all three teams open at 10 a.m., followed by two rounds of pairs play.
Dual Match Double-Header Results
#5 Hawai’i def. Irvine Valley, 4-1
1. Allie Cook-Annie Mitchem (IVC) def. Jane Croson–Ashley Kastl (UH), 13-21, 21-19, 15-8
2. Tai Manu-Olevao–Nikki Miyashita (UH) def. Katherine Kolodziej-Lainey Hicks (IVC), 21-13, 17-21, 15-13
3. Ali Longo–Karlee Riggs (UH) def. Alex Goodman-Avae Masaniai (IVC), 21-10, 21-14
4. Katie Spieler–Ginger Long (UH) def. Laruen Bender-Emily Daily (IVC), 21-8, 21-11
5. Ku`ulei Zalopany–Olivia Urban (UH) def. Brittany Brierly-Haley Whyte (IVC), 21-10, 22-20
#2 Long Beach State def. #5 Hawai’i, 5-0
1. Caitlin Ledoux-Tara Roenicke (LBSU) def. Jane Croson–Ashley Kastl (UH), 21-17, 21-11
2. Chelsea Cabrajac-Bre Mackie (LBSU) def. Natasha Bell–Tai Manu-Olevao (UH), 22-20, 21-14
3. Delainey Aigner-Swesey-Libby Fontanilla (LBSU) def. Ali Longo–Karlee Riggs (UH), 21-16, 21-16
4. Lauren Minkel-Jocelyn Neely (LBSU) def. Katie Spieler–Ginger Long (UH), 21-19, 17-21, 15-13
5. Tyler Jackson-Erin Juley (LBSU) def. Ku`ulei Zalopany–Olivia Urban (UH), 16-21, 21-17, 15-12
Update: Also swept by Pepperdine.
Flights 3, 4, 5 are solid AS IS and should remain the same going forward.
Flight #2..who knows?? E. Mount is another in the wings..
Flight #1, AGAIN, SHOULD be reveresed = Ashley Kastl-Jane Croson
*Shoji wanting to keep Croson on the left–for indoor purposses–is admirable but it’s coming at the expense of wins for Wong&Co (i’m sure themselves wanting to be successful).
What the heck happened to the WSVB team’s prize 2012 recruit Ashley Johnson?! Is she taking a redshirt year? Do you know?
Caitlin Ledoux-Tara Roenicke (LBSU) will be your 2013 National WSVB Champions anyways.
I think Ashley Johnson is redshirtting and she was never a prize recruit. People just mentioned she was coming to UH, no one ever said she was going to be an all-star.
I’m sure Johnson is glad to hear it! 😉
The prize recruit was Britt Tiegs not Johnson.
Why the heck should Shoji adjust his players to suit the sand team?! Shoji’s job is to win for indoor vb, and as it stands, Croson is most valuable as a left. That’s all there is to it.
My gosh, Purple&Green is full of nonsense and bullcrap. Also totally clueless.
Agree Whatevs with indoor and sand being different animals and the No. 1 priority is indoor.
3. believe Johnson is redshirting. Don’t remember her being a ‘prize’ recruit. and agree the bigger name was Tiegs. This is no disrespect to Johnson.
2. not really sure what you mean about being reversed. If you mean that Kastl and Croson only hit from a certain side on the beach, you obviously haven’t watched matches.
on another thread, someone put up that Croson won’t be playing sand in 2014. Unless she decides to turn pro and leave school … always an option … I don’t know why she wouldn’t be playing.
Kinda like being “asked” (by da SA) to navigate through being moderator of a VB blog–perhaps when one really doesn’t want to ’cause work/career is “work”..that love/hate relationship for which ‘Pochonese’ here experiences.
Should it be loved? or hated..hmm?!