USA holds off Brazil in 5
Sorry to have missed it. Sounded like a very exciting match.
USAV didn’t decide to stream it until last minute. The were scrambling around 9 a.m. to set things up.
They thought about syncing with radio but it wasn’t going to work.
Anyway, here’s the main link for the recap. There’s a link there for the stats.
Wow 4000 people at last night’s match. Odds are against it being better next time. Seeing as how you were adamantly against my suggestion that they should try to get these matches on TV. Good luck growing your game, maybe you’ll be bigger than TV poker some day.
2. Have you ever seen any of the TV pokers stars in Hawaii?
Watching the game last nite was an eye-opener and if Shoji can only replicate the speed offense that U.S.A. runs, geezus, we should go a long way this coming rebuilding season. Of course, the U.S.A. have different caliber players but if Shoji can get a semblance of a speed offense, it will offset the youthfulness of his team against teams in the conference but, easier said than done, but keeping my fingers crossed. The athleties on both sides of the net were just amazing…..and this wasn’t the starters for either team…can you imagine that?????
It was kind of weird hearing the play called then watching it on the live stream. When I tuned in there were over 1,000 users streaming the game.
Yeah, 2014 wahine volleyball roster up, no pics yet.
man eating apple cracks me up … who wakes up and thinks … i’m gonna go online to talk smack about volleyball attendance!?! whatever u need to do to walk around all superior … i bet he was waiting all night and morning for cindy to set up a blog post … stalking the blog, so he could be the very first to post! …. oh look at that, he’s in the 1 spot up there … good job buddy, pat yourself on the back there, for a job well done! lol
The US can surely do better than Hill and Thompson.
Attendance looks to me about 5,000+.
6. Hartong and Uiato.
Robinson and Murphy can bang!
4. Yes. I’m thinking that all the girls are in Summer II classes.
Four in a row, amazing….do it in Rio ladies.
8 Hartong yes. Uiato? No. Glass is USAs setter
It’s noted that the attendance is about 6,000 tonight. Lots bigger than the matches on the mainland.
6. is saying better than #2 setter Thompson, I’m saying Uiato is better than Thompson not Glass.
I thought Robinson and Murphy had a great weekend.
Hill can’t pass. Haven’t seen her play much so I don’t know if she just had an off night or not.
I was never impressed with Glass. I thought she was over rated and benefitted from having great hitters making her look better than she really was. She’s improved. As a whole the seeing is still a work in progress.
Overall I think USA is still missing pieces most notably OH2. Honestly I thought position for position Brazil was better.
It was a fun couple matches. It was great seeing legends like Fabiana, Thasia and Natalia play in person.
*** The USA court announcer did a fantastic job of getting and keeping the SSC crowd involved. The use of music was very interesting and effective. I felt like I was at a party.
*** I wasn’t particularly a big fan of the lineup used in match 4, I didn’t feel like it was their best but they got the job done and getting all the players experience was the USA goal.
*** I’m elated to hear that Kanoa Leahey will be the new voice of Wahine VB, would also like to see a new sidekick for Kanoa. Change is need in many areas of Wahine VB.
*** As I stared at the new roster posted on the UH site trying to get some vibe as too what kind of season it will be the best I could come up with, hard to tell, so many new faces.
5. the lulz at you brah…I’m actually a vball fan, and your imaginary picture of me is not right, and you didn’t even address any of the issues that vball is facing. Poker gets on TV, and vball doesn’t. Keep lashing out at people who are trying to help. Keep thinking that anyone who has unique ideas is just some loser, and vball has all the “real fans” it needs.
5 again. LOL I see you were posting at 5:18pm yesterday. Aren’t you supposed to be outside at that time? Man, instead of being at the beach, you’re here trying to , TRYING to, respond to my post but not really making any points and just trying to attack my character. I’ve got no problem doing that either.
2. which is more popular, poker on TV or volleyball? Heck the other night you could see motorcyle racing on TV. Who takes poker or motorcycle racing serious other than the diehards? Volleyball is a pretty good sport, although you probably don’t think so.
I’m just making a point that volleyball has a long way to go in getting mindshare. A long way. The shortsighted “fans” just want to lash out at people that aren’t “being fans the right way”. Now is the time where volleyball fans should be GROWN, instead people are trying to REAP and squeeze what little fans there are, into giving up their money.
Look at vball crowds, what % of them are retirees? What will vball be like in 10 years, when those fans are gone? Should be trying to make more fans now.
Like I said before I went to the beach and hiking yesterday. Some diehards went thru all the construction traffic to the arena yesterday. Why should people put effort into being a vball fan, when there’s other better things to do? Think about that, you need to make vball fans.
Roster lists 16 players of which 9 are local. How often does that happen on the Wahine roster.
Kanoe would have taken over last season if not for his wedding in December.
15. I nominate Lori Santi.
17. Every sport wants/needs more fans…the crowds for this week’s matches were noticeably younger than the usual mainstays for Wahine VB…if all the usual UHWVB fans had attended, plus those that came for the novelty of seeing Team USA, crowds might have been closer to 6k per night. Hopefully these young fans will maintain or grow their passion for the sport and choose to spend their money on it when they’re financially independent. I always feel like I’m one of the youngest season tix holders for wvb, and I’m no spring chicken! Too hard for younger couples with kids to commit those funds and young singles rather not be committed to attending every match…imho.
The problem with having a younger crowd is the Big West, Mountain West, and UH Athletics…scheduling matches on Thursday and Sunday nights negates the youth leagues, club leagues, and school groups from attending. Some matches this season are in the middle of weekend days, when club leagues, ILH/OIA girls volleyball, and others hold matches and practices. All three groups are also responsible for altering the schedule for volleyball to facilitate TV, promotions, and other “obligations” that a more organized university would be able to handle.
17. You still never answer my question i don’t care
I don’t under the logic, and the analogy of TV poker. First of all, I don’t even have to look at TV ratings to guarantee that IN HAWAII, Wahine Volleyball on TV is much more viewed that TV poker. So if you are complaining about no local TV, I get the picture of you as a miser. As for the tickets prices for this match, $20 for Olympic-level talent is a bargain, even if you are a moderate vball fan. The crowds were good, no worse than in the much bigger LA metro area. The matches were played out of season- Wahine and Rainbow Warriors, and anecdotally, some I knew that would have attended were on family vacations. As far as popularity locally, most home matches for Wahine volleyball are telecast live, and tickets are likely the highest charged in the NCAA for women’s volleyball. Yet, they still lead the nation in attendance. The interest isn’t primarily really old people either. Volleyball is still popular at the youth club level and in company, union, and community leagues and the like- Jaycees, Okinawan, etc (20-50’s). If you are talking national interest, TV and general following, that is a completely different story. But seems as if you are complaining about lack of local TV coverage.
CORRECTION: I don’t UNDERSTAND the logic, and the analogy of TV poker.
I think one of Huff and Maglio will redshirt, along with both Anderson and Guinasso, especially if Long will be a back row player.
22. good morning. catching up on the posts.
Don, there are very few matches this season on Thursday-Sunday and they never have a late match Sunday, mostly 5 p.m. That shouldn’t affect the youth leagues.
UH is playing Fri-Sat matches, not Thur-Sat matches in Big West because Shoji wanted to give fans the best chance to come (instead of putting it Thurs-Sat)
The big problem is … football comes first and volleyball has to schedule around that.
And Volleyball is accommodating women’s basketball, there are two 8 p.m. at the end of the regular season because of basketball tournaments. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice that they do this but volleyball is scheduled for 8 p.m. start. if any of those basketball games go to OT, volleyball is going to start really late. And that is not fair to those fans. I likely miss deadline for our first edition as well. Nov. 28-29
1. they weren’t adamantly against ‘your’ suggestion. they partnered with a TV station which chose not to broadcast.Agree with you about growing the game. They overlooked the success of the TV broadcasts in Hawaii. USAV not used to that and has gone along with the international way of doing things, which is streaming.
We’ll see if things change next summer when the men are in Hawaii.
Manu-Olevao and Passi will keep one another honest throughout the ‘E’ntire season..on the right side of volleyball/things.
You don’t know locohs.
LS2 is fundamentally where action(s) will much neededly surface.
Shoji needs to take some inhouse chances.
The women’s collegiate game needs to go the way of international ball.
Set the heck out of your opposite..everywhere on the 30×60.
31. Obviously, any of the non-starting left sides will be options on the right. As for being wrong, weren’t you the one who was so sure Ginger Long would start last year?