Top 25 scores, No. 16 Hawaii 3, EWU 1
They were nice to keep the arena open in between matches.
I’d say about 100 people stayed and watched … nothing for a while. But at lease the AC was on. They they got to see UH go through serve-and-pass.
Early Top 25
1) Penn State def. Mississippi State 25-16, 25-14, 25-12
1) Penn State def. Notre Dame 25-17, 25-19, 25-16
5) Nebraska def. Georgia Tech 25-13, 25-15, 25-21
5) Nebraska def. USF 25-13, 25-21, 27-25
7) Illinois def. South Dakota State 25-15, 25-9, 25-14
13) Arizona lost to 15) Ohio State 22-25, 25-22, 22-25, 27-29
13) Arizona def. LIU Brooklyn 25-19, 25-20, 25-16
15) Ohio State def. Arizona 25-22, 22-25, 25-22, 29-27
15) Ohio State def. Syracuse 25-12, 23-25, 25-23, 25-18
18) San Diego def. UCSB 25-20, 25-20, 25-13
18) San Diego lost to SMU 25-15, 23-25, 20-25, 20-25
19) Florida State def. Xavier 25-21, 26-24, 25-15
20) Purdue lost to Miami-FL 19-25, 19-25, 26-24, 26-24, 13-15
22) Kansas def. Marquette 25-23, 25-21, 25-16
23) Colorado def. Louisiana-Lafayette 25-15, 25-21, 25-23
24) Michigan def. Pittsburgh 25-22, 17-25, 25-22, 25-18
26) Western Kentucky def. Furman 25-15, 25-15, 25-15
Big West Conference
Cal Poly lost to Portland 21-25, 25-23, 11-25, 25-15, 11-15
Cal Poly def. St. Francis-Brooklyn 25-21, 25-14, 25-14
Cal State Fullerton lost to Sacramento State 20-25, 18-25, 16-25
Long Beach State def. Central Arkansas 25-16, 25-21, 25-23
Long Beach State def. Stony Brook 25-14, 25-23, 25-22
UC Davis lost to Georgia Tech 25-23, 25-21, 35-37, 13-25, 12-15
UC Davis def. USF 25-23, 25-17, 25-21
UC Irvine lost to North Dakota State 21-25, 25-22, 14-25, 25-19, 14-16
UC Irvine def. UCF 22-25, 25-20, 15-25, 25-23, 15-9
UC Riverside def. Central Michigan 25-19, 26-24, 25-17
UCSB lost to San Diego 20-25, 20-25, 13-25
The EWU coaches sure are casual…
1. yep, was a shock Thursday. At least head coach has worn long pants yesterday and today.
UH up 15-11 at the TTO
EWU with a quick TO at 17-11.
after such an emotional night, Uh is playing good
UH out to a 21-14 lead. TO EWU
I’m kind of disappointed that Kendra is not starting, but I also kind of like the move to show that Dave still has confidence in Higgins. Although, if we are going to get far in the post-season it is with a taller blocking setter. We will get away with Higgins tonight and maybe through Big West, but we saw how Recek had her way with Higgin’s block.
UH wins 25-19. quite a few subs with Koelsch, Huff, Castillo and Guinasso all in at the end of Set 1
I like Castillo although the last time she was subbed in the backrow, as soon as she was about to receive I remember telling myself, “(it seems like) she always gets aced on her first reception, then passes a 3 (point/perfect pass).” Then sure enough it happened. Haha, and tonight her first reception was a Zero…but she didn’t get another chance cause of the SE by EWU. I wanna see her get some swings in.
EWU has used a 5-0 run to take the lead at 7-4. TO UH.
It’s tied 19-19 in Set 2. Koelsch in for Higgins. looks like a 6-2 to me at this point.
2 aces by Taylor has UH up to a 22-19 lead. TO EWU
UH wins 25-19 on Taylor’s serving run.
EW coach ticked off.
looks like Anderson will be the libero
13. he has been angry all tournament
Mitchem in with a killing a block . it’s 8-3. TO EWU
Taylor hits long. EWU ties it at 20. TO UH
sloppy play by Wahine. EWU takes the lead 23-22. TO UH
not good. UH gives up five straight points Eagles win 25-22.
Clearly lost intensity in the latter parts of set 3. Very disappointing.
true but switch up the lineup and you change the chemistry.
Mitchem having a really nice match. Hitting .714 and a real presence at the net. I like how she is developing.
Hard match to watch but nice see Clare getting some court time. She is doing a nice job.
Really poor officiating, and Greeley looks exhausted.
Hawaii needs to figure out how to minimize Nikki’s hitting errors whether its a trap set or bail set or not for her to be trully Hawaii’s terminator. TMO as we know is unpredictable.
Dave just said they need an upgrade to the liberio position.
Yeah, Claire-Marie did a nice job at libero. She dug well and was in position to stop the dinks.
Kanoa needs to stop being so repetitive.
Great job Wahine…
Z you seem like you have a problem with the libero..
25-20 was Set 4 score
All tournament team? I saw Magill and Olevao, and am assuming Taylor was MOP for Hawaii, and Schumacher for EWU.
Does anone know who made te all tourney team from Hawaii and Florida?
No problem with whoever plays. Just repeating what coach said while being interviewed. I like Savanah, Clare, Ponce, G. I am fine with whoever plays. Savanah did say that Clare did a really good job tonight and that the position is open. Dave did say that he would like to give all the DS chance. I would like to see the wahine improve as a whole.
I think all of the players were mentally and physically exhausted. I was and I wasn’t even playing. I like both Savannah and Clare. The Washington coaches were funny. I didn’t have a problem with the way they were dressed. I have more of a problem with the female coaches wearing heels on the floor.
The Wahine did well and deserved to win this tournament.
All-tournament Taylor MOP, Magill, Manu-Olevao
Florida’s Alhassan and O’Rourke, SDSU’s Little, EWU’s Schumacher
Thought Ziva would get it for Florida, but O’rourke was very good.
Clare is soooo consistent. The balls she dug were on point almost every single time. It was certainly an eye opener. I was fully expecting her as the guest in the roundup interview, but it was Kahakai. Nothing against Kahakai. She has spunk and drive, but Clare was putting up some great passes! Go Bows!
3y. Thanks Cindy! Wow Im surprised Racek of Florida didnt get all tourney instead of Alhassan. But Alhassan definitely looks intimidating.
On a side note I like Anderson better at Libeiro too! Much more crisp passing and quicker defender it seems than Kahakai. Greeley really struggled this week with serve receive-she needs to work hard on that like the rest of the team in order for them to be formidable!
Is Cal Poly expected to have a down season this year? Some pretty ugly losses.
Correction: Okay, misspoke, no really ugly losses. At first I thought it read they lost (in a sweep) to St. Francis. I stand corrected. If anything a couple disappointing very close 5 set losses by a few teams in the conference. :/
WAHINE VB have nice set of UNIFORMS
Team and the crowd were both flat and a bit gassed from the previous night. Also saw a lot of sneezing and sniffles going on, so the crud is starting to make the rounds. Suspect everyone needs a good night sleep and rest.
The inconsistency from TMO showed up again tonight. Did she have any kills after game 2? bad passing from her and lollipop serves were all we were getting. yet dave refused to sub for her. do not understand it.
It looks we are coming out of this preseason schedule with serious competition at several positions which I think bodes well for this team. Shoji eluded to such competition in his post game interview with Scott Robbs.
Gianna had a couple of digs, i thought ? but didn’t show up in the stats.
26, 27, 38 & 39. yes claire is a pretty steady libero. did shoji just recognize this now? i hollared at him ever since she was a steady server was also a steady passer. he should of brought her in with kahakai and probably they would of beaten ucla since essentially sealy had 2 liberos and defense was their problem (offense was just hurting self). claire perhaps is a better libero than savannah (nothing against her) because she was an actual starting libero since her days at punahou (and yes to excite the volleytalkers, shoji is partial to punahou, if no like then too bad so sad). claire noticeably is difficult to sunder with a spike/serve and pretty difficult to force or otherwise make her do a bad pass. you can also notice her communicating with her back row comparing to savannah. shoji should not hesitate to sub her in for a struggling hitter in the back row.
39. although kalei model g is supposed to be steady, she did seem depleted of gas last night. struggling on penetrating through the block as well as serve/receive, perhaps mentally drained as she seemed to have not had awareness to the ball receiving.
btw remind me what gave sealy special exclusive rights to scout the wahine courtside just wondering? is it because shoji let him or because he was under shoji before? but he knew he needed 2 liberos to stop shojis heavy tanks.
Is Dave partial to Punahou because they do have a good VB program? At one time there were a lot of HBA wahine. I think he does scout locally well. Give them a break.
cindy sometimes I wish u could literally ban posters who speak out of their @$$.
shoji partial to punahou? well if that was the case don’t you think he would have started claire before savanah kahakai who isn’t a punahou product? it just so happens that punahou has produce some of the better talent coming out of hawaii in these last 5-6 years and unfortunately the ones shoji would go after (non punahou) would want to chance it elsewhere which dave has no control over.
the BS people spit on here is one of the reasons this blog is losing credibility, same old criticism and it’s not even constructive. Dave is basically damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. one night it’s all about TMO not deserving any playing time and then she does exceptionally well against florida and how funny how quick people forget about what they said a day ago.
the hardest part about this year is putting the pieces together with such exceptional athletes. people are going to have their own opinions about who they think should start or see playing time but dave makes the decisions in the end and if you’re upset with them, then find another team and coach to support.
Yaayyy Pookela. Mahalo for the post. Some posters also say things that make it all about themselves and the attention their posts gets. The more outrageous the more attention. Then when they get burned by the team playing beyond what they predicted they come out and say so and so played so much better or the coach did a better job blah blah.. as if giving their holier than thou approval. Please… it would be better if they admit they knew nothing to begin with or just shut it.
49. Agree, but unfortunately you sometimes have to take the good with the bad to have a blog that encourages a variety of opinions. The poster you are referring to has been making unfounded and illogical comments since the Florida win. I decided to ignore such posters just as I would a person who insists the earth is a cube. At some point, you have to realize who to take seriously and who to ignore. I encourage you to focus on the posts that reflect logic and level-headedness and try to filter out the noise.
49. It’s funny you only post on here to attack other bloggers.
I don’t think this blog is losing credibility, Cindy does a great job letting everyone share their opinions, even if its not kool aid filled all the time.
I may not agree with everyone but I this blog has been good so far this season with the banning of a few bad apples from last season.
1. One of the repeated posts on this blog is the ones that say something to this effect (following the UCLA lost): “Hope Na Wahine players do not read these posts so unfairly critical of their play.”
One of the things I admire about Mary Wise is her saying that she respects her players because “they are not afraid of being criticized.” If you are a Rainbow Wahine and all you want to read and hear are comments that are going to give your ego its morning-coffee boost, you are not representative of the standards that decades of Rainbow Wahine have set. Your attitude should be: Bring it on bitch poster. You don’t even know me. I will UNLEASH THE BEAST.
2. Can hardly wait till Monday’s AVCA Poll. A number of Top 15 teams lost — Florida (small drop), Stanford (huge drop), Arizona (small drop) — but suspect that will not be enough teams to have lost for the Bows to leapfrog to a Top 10 position.
@52. these bullies are high on octane and low on intelligence. They cannot tolerate difference in opinion and are indifferent to change. I try to avoid them like the plaque but they are constantly in anyone’s face that disagree. However, if they are outnumbered, they run for cover. They only come out when they have numbers. They are gang-bangers. Cindy warned them two days ago. They disrespect her call for civility.
On the BigWest WVB site, check out the videos from the UCSB players. Many of them cite beating Hawaii as both a best memory and primary goal for this season. I’ve no doubt that’s representative of the rest of the Big West teams, many of which have had but a small chance of a postseason bid anytime in their D1 volleyball careers.
I see the wahine being motivated to finish undefeated. I am pretty sure they do not want their last home game to be November 1st.
I’m still worried about BWC road games. If they continue to have passing problems, they can run into trouble away from the SSC. Even the normally steady Greeley had problems against EWU.
I liked Clare at libero. She’s really quick and focused whenever she’s on the court. I hope all the DS’s get their chance at libero for a set or two.
I like clare at libero too, she just seems more steady which is what the wahine need.
51. i made unfounded and illogical comments? i stand by what i say that the sec conference is weak and (this time) i will not make florida the exception. to answer your post on previous threads, i did NOT say that “UH showed that the SEC is a bunch of weaklings.” i mentioned nothing specifically about ‘UH’ making them weaklings but they are weaklings in volleyball. you need to read what i said, NOT what you think i said. i sure read yours and you said “Rest of SEC, eh.” indicating that you admit the sec is weak. and this is in volleyball NOT football (i dont give a hoot about the football.)
you also said “Onward, this is boring now.” well obvious you didnt move ‘onward’ and were still trippin about my post before. go back to volleytalk and wear your tinfoil hat.
49. thats no BS. and no surprise rather that shoji is partial to punahou. to clearify im not stating that as fact, but to stoke any other ‘armchair coaches’ around here contrary to their popular belief. even if it was true, savannah would be the exception since she is recruited, by design, to be a libero under shojis second ‘libero scholie’.
Opinion: noun – a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge;
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. 2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : what someone thinks about a particular thing
IMO, an opinion is only as good as the source. And, there is only really one that counts — the Coach’s. You really don’t expect Coach Dave to be like von Appen, do you?
I predict tomorrow Nikki will be named Big west POW again and maybe AVCA POW and UH moves up to 11 in the poll.
I think UH will be ranked anywhere from 11 to 13 depending on how much credit they get for beating Florida at home. Will be a hard argument to displace undefeated ASU at #10.
@49 & 50… Yes just as I was saying all along if the Wahines do well everyone is happy if they don’t do so well everyone one starts pointing fingers… In the end the Coach has the last say…
I played the game from age 12 (YMCA) to age 50 +.( mostly 3 man/3women leagues in Orange County). I still learn something new everyday from Cindy and you bloggers. I have only been a Wahine fan for 15 years. I love stories of the “old days”, and I particularly like Cindy’s bios on the players. The opportunity to vent and then to reevaluate my position based on the arguments you guys present makes this the best blog ever.
Looks like Wellenreiter, Durni, Vaught and Pukahi aren’t on the UH warrior team this year, bummed about that, especially about Vaught.
#62 and #63
How far does Florida fall?
67. I think Florida remains at 2 or drops to 3. #3 Stanford lost and #4 Texas lost to Florida two weekends ago. Florida lost in 5 to Hawaii in an away game so I believe voters will not punish the team too harshly for the close away loss. Other than #7 Illinois beating #21 Kentucky, no one in the top 10 beat a quality opponent last week.
some responses to above comments.
Sealy didn’t get exclusive scouting privileges. All coaches use the scouting tables, which are at both ends of the court. Guess TV only showed Sealy. Deitre chose to scout from the table on the opposite end.
As for Manu-Olevao, 4 of her 10 kills came after Set 2.
Magill had 3 kills after Set 2, ended up with 10 as well.
Racek had a pretty poor match against SDSU.
interesting comment about Alhassan, questioning why she made all tournament. She was in double kills figures all three matches. had 1 hitting error. one of the top blockers of the tournament.
always hard to vote on the all-tournament team. you put at least one from every team, which might knock out someone from the top 2 teams and you don’t vote by position.
new thread up.
Florida might stay at 2. Think Texas goes up to 3. Stanford going to slide.