Wahine flew out last night. I am not on this road trip. We will have a stringer both nights. ESPN3 coverage both nights as well as Hawaii radio.
1420-AM Friday, 1500-AM Saturday.
Today is my off day so will be in and out, probably much later when Top 25 scores start coming ing.
for those who missed Thursday’s scores
19) Wisconsin def. 7) Illinois 25-16, 25-21, 21-25, 25-22
8) Stanford def. 14) Arizona 15-25, 25-15, 21-25, 25-23, 17-15
9) Florida lost to Missouri 25-22, 25-20, 21-25, 19-25, 10-15
16) Minnesota def. Northwestern 25-16, 25-23, 25-21
32) Michigan State def. 23) Michigan 25-23, 25-19, 25-21
UC Davis def. UC Riverside 28-26, 26-28, 25-14, 25-21
UC Irvine def. Cal State Fullerton 25-17, 26-28, 19-25, 26-24, 15-13
As for local w. volleyball, this is going to be a snoozefest weekend (barring a major upset).
But in national w. volleyball, huge sea changes could happen as it’s possible (but unlikely) that 4 of the 5 teams with perfect records could fall from the ranks of the unbeaten.
Come next Monday (10-5), the second most-anticipated event in women’s vball during the regular season will be spotlighted on this blog. (The biggest, of course, will be Selection Sunday.)
And next week will be the major HOMECOMING events so come back next week when things really start to get interesting again.
OrbitalRipZ, I don’t know if this weekend is going to be a snoozefest because the Wahine need to focus big-time. Yes, if things work out, it will be boring and not quite exciting, however, they have almost consistently let their focus down when playing “weaker” opponents. And as Shoji alluded to, they need to win convincingly, and without mercy to continually prove they are legit. I’m hoping they’ll play agressively like they did this past weekend plus give Mitchem, Castillo, Koelsch and Granato more playing time. GO BOWS!
2. yes coach needs to keep his wahine awake vs the underlings.
2. coach said that the goal is to win and to get a set lineup. and that if he can get the reserves more playing time he will. Did ask about Mitchem specifically He said that Maglio has won the No. 2 spot for now.
things can always change.
Regarding the reserves, I do think Koelsch should play more. She has delivered when pressed into service, and I think Should use her more, not just for a couple of plays at the end of each set.
With Maglio and Mitchem, both are deserving of playing time. Personally, I like both so I’m just happy that Maglio has won the starting job and Mitchem is getting her chances. I think that one match where Mitchem didn’t play was probably just an oversight on Shoji’s part.
Ponce, Guinasso and Anderson are part of the rotation, so I think they will always get their chances. Recently, Shoji has been using all three in a match, so I’m not worried about them not seeing the court.
Castillo is one player I’m curious about. Granato was given the opportunity early on, but was inconsistent. I do think that Shoji should continue giving these two playing time in case Tai has her struggles later in the season.
Did all 3 DS make road trip
5. I do agree with your curiosity about Castillo.
Just by watching her during pregame and getting the cobwebs out when she does get a chance to sub…I think just by looking at her demeanor she will be a pleasant surprise!!
I think Dave still remembers when he made some lineup changes at Fullerton (I think) after they won the first 2 sets relatively easily. That match ended up going to 5 with Hawaii winning. It won’t be easy on the road in the BWC. The higher their ranking (maybe 8 or 9 next week?), the more incentive their is for the other teams to upset UH. I think the matches with LBS will really be tough.
6. Yeah Bleachercoach, all 3 DS made the trip. In the last string, I believe Cindy said all 14 girls made the trip, Burns stayed home.
8. I believe you mean’t the WAC semifinal match in Vegas, where UH lost the first two sets and Shoji made a change in with Maeda for Blake as Libero.
7. I’ve gone to every home match and I agree with both of you. Casey looks like a gamer and has so much up upsides. At 6’3 she has the potential to be a terminator on the outside.
10. No Alex means back in 2012 at Fullerton. Hawaii won really easy in games 1 and 2. Shoji made basically wholesale substitutions in game 3. Fullerton fought and got some confidence and won games 3 and 4, I think both of those games were like 26-28 or something like that. And then they barely won game 5.
Shoji swore after that match that he will never make wholesale substitutions like that again. And he has never done so since. I completely forgot about that until Alex brought that back up. And that is probably why the subs aren’t getting the playing time they probably need to get to develop and get confidence. I think he does still remember that match and the almost loss.
#9 Thank you!! It is great to see all of them travel….
6. et al. have mentioned all 14 traveled. only Burns is at home.
12. agree it was the Fullerton match in 2012, Thinking that was the time that Croson had a real problem with her sky ball serves because the ceilings are low and there are basketball hoops that are retracted into the ceiling.
Box if you care to look
Not that exciting tonight
20) Colorado State def. Nevada 25-16, 25-21, 25-18
25) Wyoming def. San Diego State 25-22, 25-19, 25-18
Had a dream last night that Huff was back with volleyball and playing in a match AND had 17 kills! Don’t know where that came from, but in case I have new psychic abilities, wanted someone to know! (And yes, I’m aware of the near 100% probability this will never happen!)
Happy for Emily Maglio winning the starting MH position – at least for now. Watched several matches on YouTube, and noticed that Mitchem was not being set even when she was in excellent position – likely that Tayler was not comfortable with setting to Annie. Hopeful that the staff continues to develop and play Mitchem as she represents a tremendous talent. Next year, it is likely Maglio and Mitchem are the MHs with red shirted Burns at backup in training. I personally prefer to see Annie at OH – especially when we play the really big girls.
What times are the games in Hawaii?
18. 4 PM, Friday and Saturday ESPN3.
18.19., I believe the match on Saturday is at 3 PM (6 PM PST).
#18, #19, #20
Friday 4pm HST
Saturday 3pm HST
LET’S GO BOWS!
Watching Penn St/ Nebraska. State destroyed Nebraska in set 1 by double digits. Nebraska playing better so far in 2nd set and up by 3, 15-12 at the break.. One thing is clear is that MB Haleigh Washington is a Professional player playing college. She is big, very quick, active, and deceptive….She is Phenomenal…I love the way Penn State plays….They are big, fast, athletic, and very deep….
Nebraska playing much better and they took one set from Penn St . In the 4th set, Nebraska up 13-12 in the 4th set…Nebraska trying to force a 5th set…Penn St looking human now (lol)
5th set, #4 Nebraska ON THE ROAD has the “mo” against #1 PSU … PSU won the 1st 2 sets and the BigRed captured the next 2.
This is one of the 2 big FRIDAY NITE matches. The other is #8 Stanford @ #6 ASU, and #5 Washington (could be looking to tomorrow’s big matchup) @ #11 UCLA.
I am so happy for Nebraska!!! Tired of hearing about Penn St…I don’t know when Penn St. ever lost at home….GO BIGRED!!!
Wow, that was a great match. Nebraska comes from 2 down to take down undefeated and #1 ranked Penn State?
Great 5th-set chess match between the Master Russ Rose and 16-years-at-Nebraska John Cook. And now there are 4 unbeaten left in the nation.
18. My bad…. Nebraska over Penn State in five.
I’m not a big Penn St. fan, just because I’m tired of them getting all the top recruits and winning all the dang time. BUT…..I dislike Nebraska more than I dislike Penn St. John Cook is…..ick.
And yes….Haleigh Washington is amazing. I love her attitude on the court as well. She will be a future olympian as well. She can be very dominating.
new thread up. will put Top 25 scores up there