SandBows open with 4-1 win over FIU
UH plays No. 1 USC at 7 a.m. HST. SandBows loss came at No. 4
The No. 4 seed University of Hawaii sand volleyball team won its opening match at the AVCA National Championship Friday morning with a 4-1 decision over No. 5 Florida International. The Rainbow Wahine will next face top-seed USC in a match slated to start at 12:00 p.m. CT
The winner of the UH-USC earns a spot in Saturday’s national championship semifinals. The loser of the match is still alive due to the double-elimination format and will still have a chance to make the semifinals with a win later in the day. USC (22-1) handed UH one of its three losses earlier this year with tight 3-2 decision in Honolulu on March 19.
Making its first-ever team appearance at the nationals, UH rolled out of the gates fast against FIU (14-3) with straight set wins on four of five courts over the Panthers. The win was UH’s 19th of the year and the Rainbow Wahine have now one 15 of their last 16 dual matches.
AVCA Sand Nationals
May 1, 2014 Gulf Shores, Ala.
#4 Hawai’i def. #5 Florida International, 4-1
1. Brittany Tiegs/Karissa Cook (UH) def. Jessica Gehrke/Marina Boulanger (FIU) 21-9, 21-16
2. Katie Spieler/Nikki Taylor (UH) def. Aren Cup/Tina Toghiyana (FIU) 21-18, 21-13
3. Ali Longo/Ginger Long (UH) def. Jessica Mendoza/ Ksenia Sukhareva (FIU) 21-19, 21-18
4. Martyna Gluchowicz/Kristine Monforte (FIU) def. London Chow/Olivia Urban (UH) 21-10, 21-17
5. Karlee Riggs/Mikayla Tucker (UH) def. Camila Rosado/Maja Rosko (FIU) 21-18, 21-17
I wish I could see UH/USC, always an epic match when those two meet up.
One thing I am looking forward to when it becomes an NCAA sport is live streaming !!
Spieler and Taylor take set one 21-15
Tiegs and Cook win set one 23-21 and whoever is the fifth team (probably Riggs and Tucker) lost their first set
Darn come ladies in flights 4/5 we really need one of them to pull of a win!!
Teams 1-4 win set one
Come on bows!
Are these the scores with usc thus far?
Mahalo for the updates, VBF808!
Seeing the results on twitter, they’re not always posting scores though.
Tiegs and Cook win in two and court five loses in two
7 uh sand twitter is updating us with scores
8. No problem!
Tied at 1-1 with 3 courts to go! Come on boys! Don’t let this slip!
AVCA says Hawaii wins the match overall
Florida State twitter says it as well, congrats ladies!
Wow i just knew they would pull it off in a rematch, amazing.
way to go beach wahine.
12. BOYS??? what the heck.
16. Sorry! Autocorrect! Should of been bows! I hate smart phones
And this is why I’m glad they got the seed they did. They match up so much better with usc. Good luck against Pepperdine ladies!
#4 Hawaii defeats #1 USC 3-2
Ct. #1: Tiegs-Cook def. Burnham-Hughes 2-0 (23-21, 22-20)
Ct. #2: Claes-Strange def. Taylor-Spieler 2-1 (15-21, 21-18, 15-12)
Ct. #3: Long-Longo def. Hirschmann-Siljkovic 2-0 (21-19, 22-20)
Ct. #4: Chow-Urban def. Ettinger-Russ 2-0 (21-19, 21-19)
Ct. #5: Martin-Wheeler def. Riggs-Tucker 2-0 (21-9, 21-19)
Chow/Urban win was big for them. Go Bows!
Wow and I was just thinning how Olivia and London has to step it up since they lost against FIU. Huge.
And Nikki and Katie lost to Claes and Strange in 3 AGAIN darn, they will get them next time I am sure!!
Wow, those matches were tight. Let’s hope FL State takes care of USC later today.
Oh, I misread that: USC plays Stetson today, so we could see USC tomorrow.
20. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. They still have to play against winner of FIU/FSU
27. Oh apologies. Thought the next game was against Pepperdine.
26. The winner of Stetson/USC plays against Pepperdine.
I said it once before and I will say it again that Scott Wong has done a tremendous job in building this program from year 1 to this year and much recognition not only goes to him but to the girls also no matter what the final outcome will be in this year’s national championship.
According to the bracket…
Winner of FIU/FSU plays Hawaii for a spot in the Final
Winner of Stetson/USC plays Pepperdine for a spot in the Final.
Not just Scott, Michelle Meyer and rest of assistants deserves tons of credit too, Michelle takes over for the team when Scott is with indoor.
U mean Pepp already dispatched FSU? wow that was quick.
33. Nope, FSU lead 3 of 5 courts in set 1
way to go sandbows…already a gr8 season…all of u has already made hawaii proud…keep up the gr8 work…we all new u guyz could get this far…keep up the gr8 work ladies…
Lol people assuming Pepperdine will win. Don’t count fsu out. They’re a very talented team
33. My bad. I was filling out the bracket and was going on assumptions when it came to FSU vs. Pep.
Dude id rather the wahine have to face FSU in the semi’s than pepperdine, come on now. Pepperdine is more talented and has the wahine’s number, don’t wanna face them until he championship.
Pepperdine wins the first set one on courts 1, 4, and 5 while Florida State takes the first on courts 2 and 3
#30 and #32….u guyz hit da nail on da head…….kudos to the entire coaching and travel staff…sorry renee…….havent forgotten u!
38. I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pulling for Pepperdine. But I just found it funny how people automatically thought Pepperdine would win
36. lol didn’t you count FSU when you assumed UH plays PEPPERDINE NEXT
…. count FSU out
42. I was under the assumption they played Pepperdine next because I totally forgot they had to play fsu. Not that I would count them out. That was simply me misunderstanding the brackets.
I’m not sure how you could have misunderstood the bracket. I guess it was an oversight on your part.
45. It was. And I apologize on my part. And I too thought Pepperdine would beat fsu. So you weren’t wrong when you said it would be fsu vs fiu. But we just can’t count them out. Teams 1-4 are all able to beat each other on any given day
I didn’t count them out. I just predicted PEP would win in order to fill out the bracket.
Best case scenarios for the bows is Pepperdine defeating Florida State. That will most likely set up a USC-Pepperdine matchup that can go both ways. Hawaii will most likely face Florida State who probably knows the same amount about us as we know the same amount about them since we haven’t played each other yet.
47. My apologies then. Shouldn’t have assumed.
Pepperdine defeats Florida State 3-1 with their No.2 teams still playing however it is close in that one.
Pep wins, so my prediction holds true.
Assuming USC beats Stetson…
UH vs FSU
Pep vs USC
I think we all can agree UH positioned themselves well to reach the finals… better then if they had to play Pepperinde to reach the finals at least.
. 45 jeez no offense but I can see why you get on peoples nerves on volleytalk, anyway looks like Pepperdine won as expected.
so it will be FSU or FIU in the semis, gonna be up early again tomorrow.
I bet Britt Tiegs would love to face Florida State..
53. Im not on Volleytalk.
53. I was just saying. How would it feel if fsu fans were saying usc would beat UH. We shouldn’t count any of these teams out. Simply because they’re the six best teams in the nation (debatable if long beach should be here).
55. He’s talking about me. And I meant no harm in my comments. I wasn’t in anyway trying to insult anyone. Just thought we shouldn’t consider it a for sure Pepperdine win.
56. it is what it is. Long Beach State didn’t have that great of a season. But only three teams from the West, as it has been.
see new thread
55. didn’t mean you sorry.
And again, I apologize if I annoy or offended anyone. Was never my intention. I’ll try to be more calm when it comes to this. Once again, I apologize to everyone