Robins-Hardy on all-USA team
Done by John Tawa. In USA Today
thank you to Nana Kokolele for the heads up on another thread
one of 7 on the first team
‘Alohi Robins-Hardy | Right Side Hitter | 6-1 | Sr. | Kamehameha (Honolulu, Hawaii)
A BYU recruit in both volleyball and basketball, Robins-Hardy led the Warriors to the Hawaii Division I title, amassing 18 assists, 16 digs and a match-high 13 kills in a sweep of league rival Punahou. Named the league MVP and state tournament MVP, Robins-Hardy averaged 4.3 assists, 3.2 kills, 3.1 digs and 1.2 blocks per set.
Also Hawai`i Gatorade Player of the Year.
Interesting… Hardy didn’t even make JT’s Prepvolleyball top 100 senior aces. Even though I thought she should have. Probably because Senior Aces puts an emphasis on WHERE the recruits are going and in Alohi’s case she was uncommitted at the time. Still, great to see local girls recognized.
Congrats to her, last year when Kan won everything I didn’t think much of it but then Kan went out and hit over .350 on the season ( albeit in a slightly over rated SEC and with a weak out of conference schedule) , but then she hit nearly .500 with 18 kills in the post season against Purdue and made me a real believer.
4. By the way I’m not a stalker but I did notice Carly’s tweets about how she is dying because of the weather in Columbia lol, hope she is home sick.
Not stalker-ish, but obsessive. You’ve made it pretty clear you want Kan to transfer to UH. She’s fine where she is.
yea so, she’s a great player that would help UH.
butch & WF, take it outside and off of here.
i’m deleting the childish bickering.
Cindy I don’t understand. I was not bickering. I don’t know why you deleted some of my comments. My comments were purely explanations and questions. I was not looking for an argument and nor did it seem like it was, WF said I was an uninformed wise guy, and I asked him to inform me on what I got wrong.
Also, Cindy does it not say “Mail (will not be published)”. Real or fake, I do not appreciate you giving out personal info like that.
Really like Alohi. Nothing about her physically stands out but it’s the intangibles. It’s hard to explain but she has something about her that can lead teams to be better than they are. And she’s been that way for a long time. I don’t know where she would fit in as a Wahine but something about her makes me believe that Dave made made a mistake in not pursuing her harder. Maybe it’s her lineage with both parents who were Hawaii volleyball players. It just seems like she was born to be a Wahine. Many want to be but rare is the prospect who is born to be. Even sitting out club play for a couple of years didn’t hurt her knowledge of the game. Her instincts for the game are exceptional. Good luck to her in Provo. I’m sure it’s not the last we will see of her.
10. didn’t realize that’s what it says since I don’t have to register. sorry.
my understanding from someone who knows Alohi, UH did not go after her as Cindy mave have alluded. one VB coaching staff was very interested in her, but no one from UH offered her a two sport possibility like Kalei was offered. So I don’t understand why UH may claim that the elites just don’t want to come here. Lets be completely transparent from now on ok.
Water under the bridge, but Alohi may have been the answer to the RS. I really believe she would have adjusted to top D1 ball.
12.I don’t know how hard Uh went after her, my comment which was quite a while ago and way before the NLI was that it seemed that the interest was not all that mutual.
10. doesn’t matter how hard Shoji went after her. She wanted to play elsewhere.
How much being able to play two sports played into the decision, don’t know.
13. I think Nikki is just fine at the right side and will only get better, there were some matches were she was a total wall and I hope the coaches realize her potential to disrupt opponents Leftside hitters is huge.
I hope Kalei G comes in and takes one of the left side spots and that UH gets another transfer to start along with her.
And who knows. Perhaps it won’t work out at BYU. Maybe she’ll want to come home as Satele did, among others. But for now, her decision is to play for the Cougars.
8. The reason I said that was because you implied Shoji was “piggy backing” and using Beeman’s scholarships for one of his starters, when Shoji has no choice, Kalei wants to play both sports and it’s an NCAA rule that basketball MUST be the sport that gives her the scholarship.
Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that not everyone from Hawai`i wants to go to UH also that UH isn’t always interested in every local product but they just keep beating a dead horse. 🙂
18. Not all local products, just the really good ones 😉
12. As a Wahine basketball and volleyball fan, I don’t think the basketball team could have 2 players missing from basketball until mid December. Beemans honoring Kalei’s agreement with prior coaching staff. Maybe Beeman wants to go the Ricketts or De Angelis route with a 5th year seniors.
.20 that’s under stable BUT they don’t use all 15 scholarship players, she plays an 8-9 person rotation at most.
And the way I see it I’d rather have athletes with size like Adolpho and Robins-Hardy for half a season and the Big West conference season, then not have them at all.
I’d also redshirt them their first basketball season to make sure they had a full year with the basketball team as 5th year seniors.
Sounds like that football recruit (forgot his name) that was considering Nevada, but he ended up choosing UH because he wanted to play volleyball also.
23. Larry Tuileta, Punahou QB. The difference is that the football season and men’s volleyball season doesn’t overlap like the women’s volley and basketball. Major consideration for Beeman to have a scholarship player playing only 3/4 (?) of a season.
17. true that the NCAA regulation has the ‘major sport’ carry the two-sport athlete and that is what basketball is considered. Basketball also has 15 scholarships as opposed to VB’s 12.
Shoji was ecstatic when Adolpho wanted to play both sports and that Takahara-Dias agreed to it. She was not too happy about it but agreed to it. Beeman has honored the deal.
21. to say Beeman plays only 8-9 out of her 13 currently on the roster, and that includes Adolpho, is not completely true.
I have covered Wahine games this year. She’s had a couple of injuries but she used 10-11 in most of her games. That’s when having 12 players.
That she didn’t use up all her scholarships this season is because a couple of players didn’t qualify to get into school. Otherwise they would have been at 15.
Cindy I just mentioned 8-9 at most because was going by their last game against Minnesota when Beeman only played 8 players all game.
Sorry I don’t really watch wahine basketball games so was just going off by the last game.
24. I wonder if Tui will even play volleyball as a freshmen? There’s a good chance he will start as a freshmen for football and then Chow might not want him to skip spring training, hope he plays volleyball though.
17. I under stand how it works. My initial comment was not an opposing point of view wether BB takes priority when it comes to scholarships. Like Cindy said in 25. Shoji was happy… happy because he got a freebie: Basketball gets the brunt of it: she takes up a BB scholie and misses part of the BB season. Dave gets her for free and for the entire VB season. Regardless of BB having priority over volleyball that IS “piggy backing” on BB. Do you think he would take a deal if roles were reversed, Adolpho be on VB scholarship and misses half of the season of VB to BB. NO. That is why there was no compromise B/W Shoji and Beeman over Hardy to let her play both. That is my point, no coach is to blame over the other. Although Im not sure she wanted to stay home anyways.
i think this is simply a case of how “you really can’t please everybody.”
hawaii can’t possibly get every top local recruit to stay home. but there will be those who will question why hawaii didn’t go after her “harder.”
if robins-hardy DID stay, there will inevitably be those fans who will question why she’s playing 2 sports, and will say that playing 2 sports is inhibiting her development as a volleyball player. adolpho’s situation over the last couple years has drawn a lot of those comments.
no matter what happened with robins-hardy, there will be those who are not be satisfied.
Hawaii needs at LEAST 2 dynamic players (who can pass) on its team to find the success to reach the next level. Obviously Emily Hartong WAS NOT enough for the Wahine to succeed. Maybe Dave should explore international recruits again. It brought him success in the 80’s & early 90’s. He has a better chance with international players than our own top prospects in the U.S. as they seem to be going to all the BCS schools.
Regarding Carly Kan: is she on scholarship? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m under the impression that she only got the start on the outside because the starter was injured/unable to play? Last time I checked, she was listed as a DS on their roster. Obviously, Missouri now looks brilliant for starting her on the outside, but I would bet that the coach didn’t exactly recruit a 5-9 freshman, have her listed as a DS, and then project her as a starting outside. Anyway, just something to think about before criticizing UH of not recruiting her. I mean, Ginger Long is 5-11 but is deemed “undersized,” per Shoji on several articles.
Can we all just give the whole “undersized” label debate a rest? What is Shoji too say, that Long isn’t as skilled as those in front of her? Long is listed as 5-11, but I would think with her current skill set and being 6-1, 6-2, she would be starting (or at least first OH off the bench).
Carly Kan as an incoming freshman already was a pretty accomplished player. There was no doubt on her skills.
I remember when it was announced that Ginger Long was getting a scholarship to Hawaii and a lot of people were surprised.
Kan vs Long is no comparison.
Sorry, but don’t know where to place this on a subject that was dragged on, the Pacific North Region FOY and Nikki Taylor. From the Manager of Awards, Membership and Event Support, AVCA, Lexington Kentucky. “Within the online nomination form, there is a selection button that coaches must use in order to nominate their player for RFOY. We only allow 1 freshman candidate from each university. This is why we do not automatically nominate every freshman for the award…….I will attempt to make this selection requirement more apparent in the future.”
This nomination failure for NR FOY is on UH.
32. She is definitely on scholarship,Missouri website announced her signing and everything plus after averaging 3.5 kills and hitting .365 on the outside for the season as a true freshmen they would be crazy not to offer her a scholarship.
There was a video up on last year’s NLI signing for Hawaii signees at a Waikiki Hotel. Carly Kan, Nikki Taylor and Tayler Higgins were all sitting together. The Hawaii media does interviews and videos every year on NLI day.
I don’t even know who she is and don’t even care.:-)
Another topic, Cindy I did call the head of the media relations department on Monday, and he said he was going to take down the youtube video. It is still up, so much for his word.
Shoji was also asked to have that video taken down but no reply ,right now golf is more important to him.
.37 I am sure you will learn who she is when she gets named second or third team AVCA all american next week, not bad for a true freshmen.
19. I supposed you will dismiss Kamana’o, Danielson, Ah Moy, etc as not being the ‘really good ones’ who stayed?
Trying to be lighthearted but funny, a twosome teeing off at Oahu. Good luck for another hole in one on the 16th.
39. you don’t know that (about golf) so quit being so rude.
Even if Shoji did ask, doesn’t mean that he wasn’t over ruled by someone who has the authority to actually have it removed.
38. same thing. The MR guy may not have had the final say.
I know a lot.
Re: Kan: Schools do not announce NLIs unless it is a scholarship player so obviously she is.
34. you win.
but i do find it telling that the reply says, “we’ll make the selection requirement more apparent in the future.
His standing game is on Tuesday.
you may know a lot but still no excuse for your continued rudeness
45. My intentions is not to press the issue and win, but just to let the people who questioned the selection of how the process is done. I’m sure there will be a change in the process to make it clearer on the nominations with his apparent comment. Thank you is being fair in your comments on this subject.
What youtube video are we talking about?
IMO there are only four freshman with the possibility of making AA. Kan, Carlini (who will win foy IMO) nwaeunbu and rolfZen. Carlini will make 2nd team. Kan, rolfZen and nwaeunbu all have the potential for 2 team but I see them making third team.
Kan will not transfer. She has an outstanding season at Missouri, and the chances of her transferring to any school are slim to none.
49. This is where being the North West Region FOY would have consideration for AA teams. Even honorable mention would have been ok and possible this year. With steady improvement in play, future considerations for AA would be on track.
And I thank you for the information You also have been very fair
If Nikki was the pacific north (that’s what our region is now) Nikki would be considered for AA. The previous rules were that even HM we’re considered but they changed either this year or last year. Nikki will be a force though and I see her making AA ‘next year
Cindy, sorry you or someone may have already mentioned this, but is any of the games being televised or streamed today/tonight?
Many thanks in advance!
American hanging tough with Texas, pretty depressing watching all these teams play in the sweet sixteen though.
Wow american won the first set.
Texas’ athletes are ridiculous , I’d love to see what a coach like Shoji would do with them.
57. Texas has the most athletic athletes IMO. Webster and ecerkman are beast. Dave would make them into all stars.
Eckerman is just okay, it’s their middles and webster that blow me away.
Penn State and Wisconsin into the elite 8 so far, what a difference a year makes for Wisconsin.
I think eckerman is better than Webster, but I guess that’s where we differ. The thing that hurts Texas is their passing.
54. all matches are streamed. go to ncaa.com
setaone and Warriorfan, thanks for clearing that up regarding Kan. Didn’t know she was a scholarship. She is listed as a DS. Is Loxley Keala also on scholarship? Also interesting, basically everyone on Missouri’s roster is hitting .300+. Makes you wonder about their competition.
64. Maybe a weak out of conference schedule, but Kan still hit .349 in SEC only matches, while over rated the SEC is still better than the big west imo.
64. Hot. Loxley Keala is on scholarship.
66. Thanks hollycow.
65. I was just wondering because all their starting hitters are hitting at least .310, and only one hitting sub is hitting below that. Was Kan ever recruited by UH?