INfo from The Beach:
Down 2-1 in the championship match against No. 1 Pepperdine, No. 2 Long Beach State got a win from Janisa Johnson and Tyler Jackson, who finished the season undefeated, tying the national championship 2-2. Lauren Minkel and Jocelyn Neely then finished off the day with a 21-19, 9-21, 15-10 win in the final match of the day, clinching a win for the 49ers.
With the win, the 49ers handed the defending champions their first loss in two years of Sand Volleyball, and avenged a loss in the title game one season ago. The win also sealed the seventh team championship in Long Beach State’s history. Men’s volleyball has won one national championship and women’s volleyball has won five.
It was the fourth chance this season for Long Beach State (19-3) to topple the Waves, but the 49ers came through in their biggest moment. The 49ers were also the beneficiaries of some misfortune to Pepperdine, as the Waves were forced to forfeit at flight No. 1 due to an injury to Jazmine Orozco.
o. 2 Long Beach State 3, No. 1 Pepperdine 2
1) Caitlin Ledoux/Tara Roenicke, LBSU def. Lilla Frederick/Jazmine Orozco, PEP 21-0, 21-0 via forfeit
2) Lara Dykstra/Caitlin Racich, PEP def. Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Chelsea Cabrajac, LBSU 16-21, 21-13, 15-9
3) Kelley Larsen/Kellie Woolever (PEP) def. Libby Fontanilla/Bre Mackie, LBSU 21-17, 21-19
4) Lauren Minkel/Jocelyn Neely, LBSU def. Victoria Adelhelm/Taylor Racich, PEP 21-19, 9-21, 15-10
5) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson, LBSU def. Emily Cook/Katie Messing, PEP 21-19, 21-18