Hawaii 3, Long Beach State 0; other MPSF results
Saturday’s match at 730 p.m.
TV OC sports Ch. 16
online subscribers: ocsports.tv
Rest of the MPSF quarters:
UCLA at UCI; BYU at USC; UCSB at Pepperdine
MIVA opened Friday
Ohio State 3, Ball State 0; Lindenwold 3, IPFA 2; Loyola 3, Quince 0
Saturday quarterfinal: Grand Canyon vs. Lewis
April 29 semi: Ohio State vs. Loyola, Lindenwood vs. winner of GCU-Lewis
EIVA semifinals April 29 at Penn State with Harvard, Princeton and George Mason
PSU coach Mark Pavlik 1 win away from career No. 500
Conference Carolinas’s auto bid to Pfeiffer, 3-0 over Erskine
The Warriors will be HUGE Loyola or lewis fans. Ohio state winning the confrenxe can result in MIVA getting 3 bids with Loyola and lewis rpi. Best case scenario is lewis winning.
Hawaii just needs to win the MPSF tournament and not worry about what MIVA teams do. If OSU wins it, even better because UH won’t have to beat UCI again.
UCI swept UCLA & Pepp swept UCSB…
SC up 2-1 on BYU…
SC-BYU going to 5…
SC wins in 5…
The wahine are fundraising for Europe at the game. If you can, try your best to donate to help the girls!
Semifinals & finals at UCI next week
No. 1 seed UC Irvine 3, No. 8 seed UCLA 0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-15)
No. 4 seed USC 3, No. 5 seed BYU 2 (25-17, 20-25, 25-22, 23-25, 15-13)
No. 3 seed Pepperdine 3, No. 6 seed UCSB 0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-18)
1. the MIVA won’t get 3 bids.
UH up 13-8. TO Beach
Fey with two more kills and it’s 21-14 UH. TO Beach.
UH wins 25-19
UH hit .429, The Beach .216. Fey 8-0-12
The Beach up 13-5. TO. UH. The Beach sand team sitting behind me. just annoying.
49ers lead 15-8 at the TTO
I agree Cindy. In all the way in AA and I can hear them from here. That girl screaming is obnoxious and they’re all annoying. Everyone sitting by me is getting irritated. No class.
Her scream literally sounds like a dying dolphin. I thought they were just fans at first, but it’s sad that the beach team is this unclassy.
Warriors have rallied to 22-20. TO Beach.
Martin hits long, UH within 23-22
The Long Beach Water Polo girls lost to Hawaii last night to UH so they are screaming for revenge in a different sport. The best way to shut them up is for the Warriors to beat the Beach.
20. also the sand team with water polo.
it’s 24-22. TO UH
Amazing comeback. UH wins 26-24
Well the team took care of the Beach Mens team AND silenced the women’s beach team…
HOOOOOLTTT FOR MVP!!!
23. not completely
Beach up 9-6. TO UH. 3 of those points on UH service errors.
UH closes to 13-11. TO Beach. Not quite sure about that ace from Averill. they cut the replay right before it landed.
UH’s 4th service error makes it 15-12 Beach at the TTO
tickets issue 6,846. turnstile 6119
Zarkovic tried to do too much, lost the joust. it’s 22-19. TO UH
So relieved and glad it’s over in three sets as I’m vacationing in California and it’s close to 1 AM there. Would have been too sleepy to watch fourth and fifth set. Great comebacks in sets 2 and 3. Thank you, Bows, for winning in three hard-fought sets.
Great win for Hawaii. Amazing comeback. down 19-14. then 24-20.
Zarkovic with 18 kills, Fey 17. both teams with 9.5 blocks. Kankakee 18 digs, Fey 12.
Gallic led the 49ers with 13 kills, La Rusch 10.
Wow Kolby was spectacular, Showing he was robbed of first team all MPSF.
I think Taylor and Brook need to step it up big time against Pepperdine, Peperdine looked really good against UCSB.
I am a little worried UH will be the only team taking a flight for the semi’s, hope they arent jet lagged, are they leaving tomorrow or Monday?
So the sand team beats Long Beach 4-1 and still loses the championship? What the heck, that makes no sense.
34. apparently the championship match was worth 5 points and hawai’i won 4 points in the flight tandems whatever at 4-1. meaning hawai’i = 4 points, the beach 1+5=6 points so they get the gold. whatever. hawai’i shouldnt have lost that 1 flight but more importantly. both tiegs and taylor were really struggling. perhaps their most lackluster performance ever unless its by design they are saving their strength for alabama? but tiegs isnt exactly good even as AA (it was cook last year btw that made her that) and taylor, well she admitted it was all katie (spieler). taylor dont forget is ‘wounded’ or just ‘recovered’ (cleared to play) from her wounds that she foregone jump/spin serving (her gun was clearly broken). and a bigger player relies on her gun (arm swing) and armor (blocking) as her power. otherwise they move slow and are not maneuverable.
anyways. that said they better not play like that at alabama. taylor needs to heal her ‘baby’ up, let alone shes easily broken. tiegs needs to step it up better. if none of that happens, then they need to move spieler/urban up to tandem #1, and they need to move and win fast before urban gets winded down.
not exactly impressed all year with tiegs and taylors performance. and i happened to go to all matches for the sandbows including in cali because conveniently i had to go there just at the right time anyways this year.
spieler and urban are hands down better than tiegs and taylor and that went on record for a match i recall even. hall needs to make spieler and and urban the #1 tandem for his sandbows.
They had some amazing plays but overall they just didn’t look sharp tonight but I love how the guys fought their way back to take the last two sets. That in itself should give them a boost as they prepare to to take or Pepperdine then Irvine.
Long Beach had no one who could really do a lot of damage offensively but they know who to play defense. I almost felt sorry for them tonight and I’ve been a LBSU hater for a very long time. Losing those last two sets after being up by significant margins must have really hurt.
Really impressed with Fey, the past few weeks, he is hitting with confidence now, something that I didnt think he was doing earlier in the season.
If he keeps improving and hitting this way, I am actually very optimistic about UH winning it all this year and being a top 5 team again next season especially if UH gets the dutch player.
I dont like how they score the Aloha Invitational for the team plays (just my opinion). Hope everybody got enough gas left in thier tank for the nationals next week. And hope they wont have the same nightmare of traveling like last year. Where they have to take a very long drive to Gulf Shore
Great win for the warriors. Let’s take it to Irvine. Go ‘bows!
It was made-for-TV and they decided at the last minute to add some drama to make the last match worth more. UH knows they won 4-1 but my feeling was that if the Aloha Invitational wants to be taken seriously, it doesn’t need to make up scenarios for something that isn’t going to be televised for 3 weeks after the fact. it was the organizers’ decision, UH wasn’t involved. Think they told Hall at the last moment but the rest of the team and staff didn’t know. They were pretty dismayed to put it mildly when announced they won the silver. Heard one of the organizers say to them as the Wahine got up on the stage that “you know you won but … ” Again, if it’s going to be a legitimate event they can’t go and rig it for TV.
35. Urban had been down with an illness and it showed Saturday when she did run out of gas.
36. As for Taylor Tiegs, I would say you’re being a little harsh. They hadn’t played a match together for two weeks. Taylor not 100 percent and she didn’t want to risk aggravating the injury. But Taylor needed to play to set up next week’s pairings.
Hall isn’t going to move up Spieler-Urban. Interesting that you should say they are the better team when they were the only ones to lose to UCLA Saturday.
37. The Beach was pretty stunned afterwards. Had spoken to Knipe before the match and he talked about the young team and how no one expected them to even make the playoffs. I also think the UH was pushing too hard instead of playing their game, in part to make up for last weekend at BYU. Kanetake was in a lot of pain before the match but gutted it out and was pretty spectacular.
38. Fey started off very well last night but also think the 49ers were leaving him alone to stack the middle and stop Sedore. But impressed with him as well. Averill still a little awkward on the 3-meter attack but not many other MB are doing it.
39. no one liked the way they scored it. except for the Beach.
UH will be leaving Tuesday, a day earlier, hoping to avoid the travel problems of last year.
and yes, great win.
new thread up for Sunday