Hawaii up to No. 9 in poll
2 wins over the No. 2 team didn’t do much for Hawaii
up to No. 9, swapping with UCLA, which basically reflects the MPSF standings, when taking out Loyola
Loyola stays at No. 1 (16 votes). Pepperdine up a spot to No. 2 (2 votes)
BYU a spot to 3, 4-5 stay the same: Stanford, UCSB
UCI and Long Beach trade at 7-8, UCI up a spot, The Beach down 1
USC stays at 8.
What if they win in Pepperdine? That means they’ll come short for all that hard work right? #8 in the MPSF polls?
1. please read earlier thread which discusses the tiebreakers. if UH were to win both, they will finish at 15-9 and ahead of USC which is 14-10.
If they split, they have to hope UCLA also splits then all three teams are at 14-10. based on the procedure, UH and SC get in, UCLA is out.
If they lose both, UH is out, unless UCLA loses both (against Cal Baptist, BYU) If UH and UCLA are tied at 13-11, UH gets in, UCLA is out.
they are No. 9 in the AVCA poll. There is no MPSF poll. UH is tied for 8th in the MPSF standings.
History of UH being in this position. Since 1981, non existence. 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, closest but not quite good enough. Dejan Milodinovich 6-7 MB won the title with the MPSF, but UH Warriors under then head coach Mike Wilton had to relinquish the #1 title at end of season because someone wasn’t a legit player. Same scenario here. Hopefully? Why was this title taken away then?
your history not very complete and it is not the same scenario this year at all.
UH has made the conference playoffs most of the years the program has been a sanctioned NCAA sport, which officially was 1979.
They made the NCAA tournament in 95 and 96, finished fourth in 95, the last year there was a third-place match. they were second in 1996 after being ranked No. 1 most of the season.
NCAA decided that Costas Theocharidis was ineligible since he had played on a team that had professionals on it. the only penalty was vacating the title. No awards that Theochardis received were taken away (because those were AVCA awards)
I believe if UH would petition the NCAA to have the title returned, they’d be successful, given the change in rules now. But even back then, the ‘pro’ rule was so arbitrary. All you have to do is look at collegiate golfers who regularly play in PRO-Ams.
The NCAA headquarters still has Hawaii listed as the champion in 2002.
Not only golfers, but tennis, swimming, gymnastics (to name a few) have new competitions with amateur and pros together.
FYI: Victoria Prince gave birth to a girl on Sunday.
what is the point in bringing up the title being vacated in 2001? it’s got no relevance to the here and now …
because it was a question and I gave an answer.
actually I think it is relevant because i do believe if UH would petition the NCAA, it would be returned.
the 2001 title (and it subsequently being vacated) … and it being relevant to hawaii qualifying for the mpsf tournament in 2014? maybe it’s just me, but i’m just not seeing it …
I would like to see the 2002 title banner in the Stan Sheriff. UH should petition.
I know that the AVCA poll doesn’t mean anything, but can anyone explain the logic behind how the #10 can beat the #2 team twice only to move up just one spot?
11. I SECOND that motion. I never understood the reasoning behind the relinquishing of the 2002 title from Hawaii. Like Cindy said; it was arbitrary. Hawaii should pursue this issue.
12. It’s just a poll. Meaningless. Has no bearing on post season implications. The only thing Hawaii fans should be concerned about is the conference standings, and hope Hawaii gets that 8th and final spot for Conference Tournament.
12. 18 voters, who knows how they voted.it is how the points fall. I think they look at the standings and go from there.
I had Hawaii at 8 in the VB mag poll, BYU 3 this week. You can’t just base it on one week.
Agree that 2 wins over BYU is huge but Hawaii still lost to everyone else ahead of them and are tied with the team they also beat twice.
11. I think they should as well. the banner is in the arena, in storage.
10. it’s not relevant to qualifying.
but do think it is a relevant discussion.
hate to pat my own shoulder, but called it….Siki POW.
17. a bit surprised since he didn’t get MPSF honors.
see new thread.
12. to add to meaningless polls, just look at the Volleyball magazine new poll.
10 voters. the only movement was between 2 & 3 where BYU dropped to 3 and Stanford moved up to 2.
Hawaii stayed at 10.
Someone’s not playing attention.